Apache + Rails Problem (ugh), works on WebRICK

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Abraham Vionas, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C4D66D.616A1CE0

    Like the subject indicates I finally got the Todo tutorial to work perfectly
    using WebRICK. However, I'm mystified as to why I'm having the problems I am
    with Apache 2.0.52. Granted, I'm not using Fast CGI or mod_ruby, since I'm
    on windows machine, but even still I get the impression that things should
    still work. I suspect a mod_rewrite problem. Basically, on Apache I can get
    to the "Welcome to Rails" screen just fine, but then without changing my
    httpd.conf file I can't pull up the Todo screen (i.e.
    http://localhost/Todo/). In order for the Todo screen to show up I have to
    go into my httpd.conf file for Apache and change my document root settings,
    as well as Virtual Server document root settings (from the settings that
    worked to get me to localhost - i.e. C:/cs/www/rails/public).

    *However*, even I I change those settings to pull up the Todo page then the
    page doesn't do anything. I.e. it's completely static. I can click on the
    links (show, edit, destroy, new todo) but nothing happens.

    Just so we're clear, WebRICK works perfectly (as expected and indicated in
    the tutorial) but Apache does not. Does anyone recognize these symptoms and
    have any advice for me?

    Regards, Abe

    ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C4D66D.616A1CE0--

    Abraham Vionas, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Abraham Vionas wrote:
    > Like the subject indicates I finally got the Todo tutorial to work perfectly
    > using WebRICK. However, I'm mystified as to why I'm having the problems I am
    > with Apache 2.0.52. Granted, I'm not using Fast CGI or mod_ruby, since I'm
    > on windows machine, but even still I get the impression that things should
    > still work. I suspect a mod_rewrite problem. Basically, on Apache I can get
    > to the "Welcome to Rails" screen just fine, but then without changing my
    > httpd.conf file I can't pull up the Todo screen (i.e.
    > http://localhost/Todo/). In order for the Todo screen to show up I have to
    > go into my httpd.conf file for Apache and change my document root settings,
    > as well as Virtual Server document root settings (from the settings that
    > worked to get me to localhost - i.e. C:/cs/www/rails/public).
    >

    > *However*, even I I change those settings to pull up the Todo page then the
    > page doesn't do anything. I.e. it's completely static. I can click on the
    > links (show, edit, destroy, new todo) but nothing happens.
    >

    > Just so we're clear, WebRICK works perfectly (as expected and indicated in
    > the tutorial) but Apache does not. Does anyone recognize these symptoms and
    > have any advice for me?
    >

    > Regards, Abe

    I've got the same result as well but quite useless under Windows/Apache.
    I don't think that it will be easy to get it to work on windows, if ever
    since, IMO, it needs fcgi and/or mod_ruby to work under windows.

    Sarah Tanembaum, Dec 1, 2004