Apache Tomcat 4.1.24: problem with Tomcat Administration link

Christos Gravvanis

Hello to everyone,

I installed Apache Tomcat 4.1.24 (jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24.exe) in Windows 2000
Professional (Service Pack 4). At the start of the installation, the
installer found correctly the directory of the j2sdk (C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03).
During the installation I chose the Normal Installation Option and at the
end I left the HHTP Connector Port to 8080 as it was by default.
After the successful installation I started the server and tried to test it.
I opened a browser and I gave the address http://localhost:8080/. The start
page of the server showed up successfully! I clicked on the Tomcat
Administration link (top-left link with address
http://localhost:8080/admin/) and the server responded with an error!!

***************************
HTTP Status 500 -
------------------

type: Exception report
message:
from fulfilling this request.

exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: org/w3c/dom/ranges/DocumentRange
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:249)
at
FilterChain.java:247)
at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
at
a:619)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

root cause:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/ranges/DocumentRange
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
at
a:619)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Does anyone know what is wrong with the server? Why does the Administration
tool respond with an exception??
I have unistalled and reinstalled the server lots of times, but the result
was the same!

Thanks in advance!