Apache vs custom authentication & authorization

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Charles Packer, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. For the "existing suite of CGI scripts"
    mentioned in the earlier thread "Streamlining
    login..." it turns out that our Leader
    opposes Apache authentication and
    authorization. The main objections are,
    first, that it takes sysadmin-level
    knowledge to add a new user or set up a new
    level of privilege, and second, that
    authorization is tied to the directory
    structure of the affected scripts.

    Therefore I'm thinking of a custom-made
    approach that would start with a browser form
    to be used by an operator to add new
    users and indicate which processes they may
    run. Then it looks like the CGI::Auth module
    or, even better, CGI::Auth::Auto is what to
    use for authentication, assuming that I'm
    able to maintain its files with the
    above-mentioned browser tool. As I
    understand it, at the start of every
    sensitive script I would call check(),
    which would handle the authentication,
    including possible session timeout. It
    will present a login page of my own design,
    right? Then I would be on my own for the
    authorization step, i.e. determining whether
    this user is allowed to execute this script.
    Presumably this would involve checking a
    list that would be maintained by the operator
    through the same browser tool that that's
    used to add users. Anybody see any problems
    with this? No news will be good news...

    --
    Charles Packer
    http://cpacker.org/whatnews