Apache webserver

nialltimpson

Im sorry if this is in the wrong section, but...

I have an apache web server set up on my windows pc and what I need to do
is be able to acceces the web server from different machines, not just as
local host. Im not sure where ot get hosting of if this will even work, so
if anyone has any idea, I would be eternaly greatfull

thanking you niall

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Im sorry if this is in the wrong section, but...

Well, there are probably several more appropriate groups, but hey "just
about anything web-related is on-topic" here, so why not? :)
I have an apache web server set up on my windows pc and what I need to do
is be able to acceces the web server from different machines, not just as
local host. Im not sure where ot get hosting of if this will even work, so

Do you want to be able to access it from other computers over a LAN, or
over the Internet?

If over a LAN, there is very little you need to do - in most cases, once
you have set it up on the one machine, any others in the LAN can access
the site either via the IP address (e.g. http://192.168.0.1/), or the
computer name (e.g. http://computer1/).

If over the Internet, don't even think about hosting it yourself unless
you really know what you are doing (which, if you need to ask the
question, you obviously don't). Find a decent hosting company (there are
plenty around) and have it hosted by them.

nialltimpson

Yeah maybe your right, but the problem is that Im applying an applet. wich
steps outside the java sandbox, so the only way it can do that is by
signing it (looking into it) or have the application the the applet is
connecting to running on the host pc, do you see my delama?

Els

nialltimpson said:
Yeah maybe your right, but the problem is that Im applying an applet. wich
steps outside the java sandbox, so the only way it can do that is by
signing it (looking into it) or have the application the the applet is
connecting to running on the host pc, do you see my delama?

To whom and to what are you responding? This post really looks like a
complete mystery to me...

nialltimpson

my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a reasone, that
reasone is my applett problem

Els

nialltimpson said:
my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a reasone, that
reasone is my applett problem

Okay, I'll spell it out for you:

I don't remember your original post. I may never have seen it.
You're lucky I remembered my own previous post in this thread, as just
from "my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a
reasone, that reasone is my applett problem" I can't deduct anything!

Big Fat Hint: when you reply to a message, quote the part that you
reply to. And out of courtesy, also mention whoever wrote the message
you are replying to.

Not everybody sees all the messages nicely lined up as apparently you
do. Also, not everybody likes to investigate what the contents are of
the previous message in the thread, even if s/he has it visibly in the
same thread.

nialltimpson

Thank you, for your ever so polite response. Ill take your suggestions
onboard and I hope your day gets better.

Small Little Hint:
Nobody like aggressive, argent, useless posts.

Have a nice day.

nialltimpson said:
Thank you, for your ever so polite response. Ill take your suggestions
onboard and I hope your day gets better.

Small Little Hint:
Nobody like aggressive, argent, useless posts.

You haven't been here often, have you? ;-)
Have a nice day.

Will do, thanks, and likewise.
Els Wrote:

Okay, I'll spell it out for you:

I don't remember your original post. I may never have seen it.
You're lucky I remembered my own previous post in this thread, as just
from "my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a
reasone, that reasone is my applett problem" I can't deduct anything!

Big Fat Hint: when you reply to a message, quote the part that you
reply to. And out of courtesy, also mention whoever wrote the message
you are replying to.

Not everybody sees all the messages nicely lined up as apparently you
do. Also, not everybody likes to investigate what the contents are of
the previous message in the thread, even if s/he has it visibly in the
same thread.

Next Hint: reply below the stuff you are replying to, like I do here.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Thank you, for your ever so polite response. Ill take your suggestions
onboard and I hope your day gets better.

You probably aren't aware, but the "web forums" you are posting on are
not web forums at all - they are actually Usenet newsgroups. There are
so many of these sites cropping up recently, that steal all their
content from Usenet, and don't tell their users about it. Frankly, we're
getting sick of it. Els probably didn't realise that's how you were
posting here, otherwise she would have explained the situation to you as
I am, rather than just complaining about your posting style.

Since you think you are just posting on a web site, you don't see any
need to quote what you are replying to. Problem is, you're probably the
only one reading the group who is accessing it through that site. The
rest of us are accessing it via a newsreader. For us, all the things Els
said in her post either are, or could be, true. It's not your fault -
the site purposefully misleads you into thinking they are really web
forums. But now you know the truth.

I suggest you get yourself a real newsreader (heck, even Outlook Express
will do for starters), and come visit us at news://alt.html - you'll
likely receive a much warmer welcome.
Nobody like aggressive, argent, useless posts.

Els' post was neither aggressive nor useless. Usenet newsgroups,
including alt.html, have conventions for how you post. She was merely
requesting that you follow those conventions.

And her post didn't look silvery to me[1], but that could be the visual
design of the site you're using.

[1] http://www.google.com.au/search?q=define:argent

Leonard

Mark Parnell said:
And her post didn't look silvery to me[1], but that could be the visual
design of the site you're using.

[1] http://www.google.com.au/search?q=define:argent

Yeah, but what a great word! I looked it up in an old dictionary and
found "silvery" also. Then I checked your reference and found basically
the same. But silvery denotes something all by itself. Faux real. Shiny
but without substance. Great word! Wrong person to apply it to.
"We had an argent discussion." The appearance of substance without any
value. Happens all the time. Again, wrong person to apply it to.
I'm sure that everyone knew the meaning but me. On the other hand,
he/she could have meant urgent, but I don't think so.

leo