    local host. Im not sure where ot get hosting of if this will even work, so
    if anyone has any idea, I would be eternaly greatfull

    thanking you niall
    nialltimpson, Mar 22, 2005

  2. nialltimpson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, nialltimpson <> said:

    > Im sorry if this is in the wrong section, but...

    Well, there are probably several more appropriate groups, but hey "just
    about anything web-related is on-topic" here, so why not? :)

    > I have an apache web server set up on my windows pc and what I need to do
    > is be able to acceces the web server from different machines, not just as
    > local host. Im not sure where ot get hosting of if this will even work, so

    Do you want to be able to access it from other computers over a LAN, or
    over the Internet?

    If over a LAN, there is very little you need to do - in most cases, once
    you have set it up on the one machine, any others in the LAN can access
    the site either via the IP address (e.g. http://192.168.0.1/), or the
    computer name (e.g. http://computer1/).

    If over the Internet, don't even think about hosting it yourself unless
    you really know what you are doing (which, if you need to ask the
    question, you obviously don't). Find a decent hosting company (there are
    plenty around) and have it hosted by them.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Mar 23, 2005

  3. nialltimpson

    nialltimpson Guest

    Yeah maybe your right, but the problem is that Im applying an applet. wich
    steps outside the java sandbox, so the only way it can do that is by
    signing it (looking into it) or have the application the the applet is
    connecting to running on the host pc, do you see my delama?
    nialltimpson, Mar 23, 2005
  4. nialltimpson

    Els Guest

    nialltimpson wrote:

    > Yeah maybe your right, but the problem is that Im applying an applet. wich
    > steps outside the java sandbox, so the only way it can do that is by
    > signing it (looking into it) or have the application the the applet is
    > connecting to running on the host pc, do you see my delama?

    To whom and to what are you responding? This post really looks like a
    complete mystery to me...

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Mar 23, 2005
  5. nialltimpson

    nialltimpson Guest

    my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a reasone, that
    reasone is my applett problem
    nialltimpson, Mar 23, 2005
  6. nialltimpson

    Els Guest

    nialltimpson wrote:

    > my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a reasone, that
    > reasone is my applett problem

    Okay, I'll spell it out for you:

    I don't remember your original post. I may never have seen it.
    You're lucky I remembered my own previous post in this thread, as just
    from "my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a
    reasone, that reasone is my applett problem" I can't deduct anything!

    Big Fat Hint: when you reply to a message, quote the part that you
    reply to. And out of courtesy, also mention whoever wrote the message
    you are replying to.

    Not everybody sees all the messages nicely lined up as apparently you
    do. Also, not everybody likes to investigate what the contents are of
    the previous message in the thread, even if s/he has it visibly in the
    same thread.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Mar 23, 2005
  7. Els wrote:
    > I don't remember your original post. I may never have seen it.

    Another one of those damnable web forums scraping Usenet. And not a
    very good one ...

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 23, 2005
  8. nialltimpson

    nialltimpson Guest

    Thank you, for your ever so polite response. Ill take your suggestions
    onboard and I hope your day gets better.

    Small Little Hint:
    Nobody like aggressive, argent, useless posts.

    Have a nice day.

    nialltimpson, Mar 23, 2005
  9. nialltimpson

    Els Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> I don't remember your original post. I may never have seen it.

    > Another one of those damnable web forums scraping Usenet. And not a
    > very good one ...

    Especially since html is not programming :S

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Mar 23, 2005
  10. nialltimpson

    Els Guest

    nialltimpson wrote:

    > Thank you, for your ever so polite response. Ill take your suggestions
    > onboard and I hope your day gets better.
    >
    > Small Little Hint:
    > Nobody like aggressive, argent, useless posts.

    You haven't been here often, have you? ;-)

    > Have a nice day.

    Will do, thanks, and likewise.

    > Els Wrote:
    >
    > Okay, I'll spell it out for you:
    >
    > I don't remember your original post. I may never have seen it.
    > You're lucky I remembered my own previous post in this thread, as just
    > from "my original post, Im trying to access my web server, for a
    > reasone, that reasone is my applett problem" I can't deduct anything!
    >
    > Big Fat Hint: when you reply to a message, quote the part that you
    > reply to. And out of courtesy, also mention whoever wrote the message
    > you are replying to.
    >
    > Not everybody sees all the messages nicely lined up as apparently you
    > do. Also, not everybody likes to investigate what the contents are of
    > the previous message in the thread, even if s/he has it visibly in the
    > same thread.

    Next Hint: reply below the stuff you are replying to, like I do here.

    Els, Mar 23, 2005
  11. nialltimpson

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Mar 23, 2005
  12. nialltimpson

    Els Guest

    JDS wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:25:05 +0100, Els wrote:
    >
    >>> Another one of those damnable web forums scraping Usenet. And not a
    >>> very good one ...

    >> Especially since html is not programming :S

    > <obvious_troll>
    > It's not??
    > </obvious_troll>

    Obvious trolls are the best ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Mar 23, 2005
  13. nialltimpson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, nialltimpson <> said:

    > Thank you, for your ever so polite response. Ill take your suggestions
    > onboard and I hope your day gets better.

    You probably aren't aware, but the "web forums" you are posting on are
    not web forums at all - they are actually Usenet newsgroups. There are
    so many of these sites cropping up recently, that steal all their
    content from Usenet, and don't tell their users about it. Frankly, we're
    getting sick of it. Els probably didn't realise that's how you were
    posting here, otherwise she would have explained the situation to you as
    I am, rather than just complaining about your posting style.

    Since you think you are just posting on a web site, you don't see any
    need to quote what you are replying to. Problem is, you're probably the
    only one reading the group who is accessing it through that site. The
    rest of us are accessing it via a newsreader. For us, all the things Els
    said in her post either are, or could be, true. It's not your fault -
    the site purposefully misleads you into thinking they are really web
    forums. But now you know the truth.

    I suggest you get yourself a real newsreader (heck, even Outlook Express
    will do for starters), and come visit us at news://alt.html - you'll
    likely receive a much warmer welcome.

    > Nobody like aggressive, argent, useless posts.

    Els' post was neither aggressive nor useless. Usenet newsgroups,
    including alt.html, have conventions for how you post. She was merely
    requesting that you follow those conventions.

    And her post didn't look silvery to me[1], but that could be the visual
    design of the site you're using.

    [1] http://www.google.com.au/search?q=define:argent

    Mark Parnell, Mar 23, 2005
  14. nialltimpson

    Leonard Guest

    In article <sunhiii9c4ev$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >And her post didn't look silvery to me[1], but that could be the visual
    >design of the site you're using.
    >
    >[1] http://www.google.com.au/search?q=define:argent

    Yeah, but what a great word! I looked it up in an old dictionary and
    found "silvery" also. Then I checked your reference and found basically
    the same. But silvery denotes something all by itself. Faux real. Shiny
    but without substance. Great word! Wrong person to apply it to.
    "We had an argent discussion." The appearance of substance without any
    value. Happens all the time. Again, wrong person to apply it to.
    I'm sure that everyone knew the meaning but me. On the other hand,
    he/she could have meant urgent, but I don't think so.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard, Mar 25, 2005