    --
    Regards,

    Phil Johnson
    Phil Johnson, Jul 15, 2009

  2. Phil Johnson

    Phil Johnson Guest

    Re: App converted from 1.1 to 3.5 runs at about quarter of the spe

    Hi Mark,

    We just used the VS2008 conversion wizard.

    There were a couple of issues to resolve and we had to upgrade a couple of
    Telerik controls we use but generally the code hasn't really changed too much
    other than the fact it's in partial classes now.

    Thanks,

    Phil

    Phil Johnson, Jul 15, 2009

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbCBKb2huc29u?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a web app that was written in .net 1.1
    >
    > We recently converted the app to run in .net 3.5 and put it live.
    >
    > The application is running on 3 Server cluster and the servers are
    > pretty heavy duty.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas as to why the application is so much
    > slower now on 3.5 than it was on 1.1?

    No clue, but I would guess you are using some deprecated features or the
    code is not properly architected .NET code.

    If deprecated, you can search the docs, find the code and use more
    "modern" techniques.

    If improper architecture, you will have to cull through the code and fix
    the architecture through refactoring.

    The best bet is to add tracing and find the routines that are causing
    the slow down.

    One other thing that could affect things is the configuration of the
    server. This can be site config or machine config. This is a harder
    route to go down, so I would trace the code first and find the
    bottlenecks.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 15, 2009
  4. Phil Johnson

    Phil Johnson Guest

    Re: App converted from 1.1 to 3.5 runs at about quarter of the spe

    Thanks for the responses Mark and Gregory,

    I've started to trace the app and one thing I notice that I couldn't see in
    the traces for the .net 1.1 version of the app are methods beginning with
    SNI..

    SNIPacketRelease, SNIPacketReset etc.

    In an SNINativeMethodWrapper class.

    Any ideas what these calls are?

    --
    Regards,

    Phillip Johnson

    Phil Johnson, Jul 15, 2009
  5. Re: App converted from 1.1 to 3.5 runs at about quarter of the spe

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbCBKb2huc29u?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > Thanks for the responses Mark and Gregory,
    >
    > I've started to trace the app and one thing I notice that I couldn't
    > see in the traces for the .net 1.1 version of the app are methods
    > beginning with SNI..
    >
    > SNIPacketRelease, SNIPacketReset etc.
    >
    > In an SNINativeMethodWrapper class.
    >
    > Any ideas what these calls are?

    SNINativeMethodWrapper is where .NET is calling unmanaged code. If this
    is where your block is, you are probably using something that is
    deprecated in 2.0 and it is causing your inefficiency when your code
    ultimately talk to the Windows API.

    Without knowing what you are doing in the app, I cannot give you any
    pointers (and might not be able to, even if you do post code ;-0).

    Ultimately, any work that actually touches the system, will eventually
    call some unmanaged code in the Windows API, as the CLR sits on top of
    windows.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA