App development for Sharp Zaurus PDA using QTopia?

Grant Edwards

I see there's a Python binary package available for the Sharp
Zaurus PDA. Has anybody deleloped an app for that platform?
I'm wondering if the resource requirement of Python are a
problem on that platform.

Ron Stephens

The Python ipk file python_2.3-1.1_arm.ipk can be downloaded from
Riverbank software at
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/zaurus/download.php .

I have used a lot of command line Python progams on my Zaurus and they
are quite fast and snappy. As for PyQt apps, there has been some
discussion of them on the Zaurus Zone web discussion board at
http://www.zaurus.com/dev/board/ and if you do a search on PyQt there
you will see considerable information. The "gist" of the discussion
seems to be that PyQt works fine, and that for many purposes is
acceptably fast, but when using complex custom widgets (user
programmed as opposed to standard QT widgets), the performance can get
noticeably slower.

It has also been reported that AnyGui works fine on the Zaurus,
finding and using the Qt toolkit.

Ron Stephens

Dave Reed

I see there's a Python binary package available for the Sharp
Zaurus PDA. Has anybody deleloped an app for that platform?
I'm wondering if the resource requirement of Python are a
problem on that platform.

It works ok. I wouldn't try to do heavy number crunching with it or
process lots of data, but for basic PDA type apps it's fine. I wrote a
program for keeping attendance in my classes using the Qt
interface. That's my only Qt experience - I've used Gtk for 6 years
so I'm more used to it.

Dave