App fails to load resource assembly with "Setup failed with hr =0x80070005"

Achim Domma

Hi,

I try to develop a localized Asp.Net 1.1 application. I have added two
resource files to my app, which are called 'Labels.resx' and
'Labels.de.resx'. If I compile the app, I see a 'de' subfolder in my
'bin' folder and the folder contains the resource dll.

Accessing the german strings does not work. After a lot of debugging I
managed to get fuslogvw.exe to work and got a result like this:

[...]

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/[...]/Administration.resources.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/develop/[...]/bin/de/Administration.resources.DLL.

LOG: Assembly download was successful. Attempting setup of file:
C:\develop\[...]\bin\de\Administration.resources.DLL

LOG: Entering download cache setup phase.

ERR: Setup failed with hr = 0x80070005.

ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80070005). Probing
terminated.

So it looks like Asp.Net tries to load the correct assembly, but setting
up the assembly fails for mysterious reasons. Using the sysinternals
file monitor, I can see that the assembly is accessed but filemon does
not display an error. If I disable anonymous access and login as admin,
it works fine.

Any hint what might be going wrong?

regards,
Achim