App only runs in debug mode

Guest

I can only get our application to work in debug mode. I have compiled in
release mode and I have changed the the web.config's compilation tag to
debug="false", but I experience lots of problems with the application in this
mode. If I include the pdb files and set debug="true", the application works
fine.

Can someone explain to me what's going on or how to properly publish the
application?

Thanks,

Tim

VS2003
ASP.NET 1.1

Karl Seguin [MVP]

It'd be useful if you described the types of problems you are having.

karl

Mark Rae

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME
net> wrote in message
It'd be useful if you described the types of problems you are having.

Oh come on, Karl - you've obviously forgotten to take your telepathy pill
this morning!

If you look hard enough at the OP, you can actually see the code...

;-)

Guest

Sorry.

The application locks up on the clients machine forcing them to restart it.
As soon as a load is applied, the application degrades until it no longer
responds.

Thanks,

Tim

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Little said:
Sorry.

The application locks up on the clients machine forcing them to restart it.
As soon as a load is applied, the application degrades until it no longer
responds.

Thanks,

Tim

Are you sure that it has to do with the Debug vs Release configuration?
Did you try to install the Debug version on the target machine? I think
you did, but just to confirm.

If yes, then a typical candidate for this type of problems is code
included in the "#if DEBUG" sections. If you're not careful with that,
you can have nasty effects because this code will be missing in the
Release configuration. Also, most developers I know test the Release
configuration too little, if they test it at all. I would start looking
in that direction.

If you don't find anything, try to add tracing to your application, and
study the logs...

Good luck.
Laurent