App Pool Identity -- error if not Network Service

David Lozzi

Howdy,

I recently changed the identity to four web sites hosting on the same server
(Win 2k3 SP2), each with their own app pool, so that each would have their
own identity, i.e. site1_web, site2_web and so on. each account is a member
of the IIS_WPG security group. When I swtiched them around the websites
started erroring left and right. I switched it back to Network Service and
they operate fine except for the same error once in every 10 minutes or so,
instead of once in every 3 clicks on the site. What's the deal? This is not
a server farm, btw.

The error is below.

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 8/30/2007 11:34:03 AM
Event time (UTC): 8/30/2007 3:34:03 PM
Event ID: e79e3d92c86349efb92430a0d9c4e4f3
Event sequence: 263
Event occurrence: 33
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1297294056/Root-1-128329614378281250
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path: D:\webs\Domain\
Machine name: KEEPWEB1

Process information:
Process ID: 8036
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: KEEPWEB1\site1_web (now will error with NETWORK SERVICE)

Exception information:
Exception type: CryptographicException
Exception message: Padding is invalid and cannot be removed.

Request information:
Request URL:
http://domain/WebResource.axd?d=dhA4OovgCHZmS6yv7q31mA2&t=633240124462812500
Request path: /WebResource.axd
User host address: 192.168.1.53
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: KEEPWEB1\site1_web

Thread information:
Thread ID: 1
Thread account name: KEEPWEB1\site1_web
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at
System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransform.DecryptData(Byte[]
inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount, Byte[]& outputBuffer,
Int32 outputOffset, PaddingMode paddingMode, Boolean fLast)
at
System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransform.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[]
inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount)
at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.FlushFinalBlock()
at
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean
fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Boolean
useValidationSymAlgo)
at System.Web.UI.Page.DecryptString(String s)
at
System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader.System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext
context)
at
System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
completedSynchronously)

Thanks,

David Lozzi