App suggestion please: blog / forum software in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stewart Midwinter, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. I'm starting up a new website for a small community of local sports
    enthusiasts. I want to be able to create pages of information easily
    (i.e. a content management system), but also allow for discussion on
    multiple topics (i.e. a forum). Numerous people should be able to log
    in and create or update content, under the guidance of an admin
    naturally.

    Call me perverse, but I don't want to use phpBB for the forum. I'm
    not seeing anything available in Python though - except for Karrigell.
    is that the only option, or am I missing something?

    For the blog / CMS portion, I'm looking for something lightweight,
    i.e. not Plone or Zope. I've looked at them before and they're total
    overkill outside of an enterprise.Have any other suggestions?

    I'm using CherryPy for a web application I'm building; it occurs to me
    it could be used to build a discussion forum, but maybe someone's
    already done that?

    I currently use mySQL with CherryPy, but I'll add another db if necessary.

    cheers,
    --
    Stewart Midwinter

    Skype: midtoad
    Stewart Midwinter, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Stewart Midwinter

    Kartic Guest

    The Great 'Stewart Midwinter' uttered these words on 4/26/2005 6:18 PM:
    > I'm starting up a new website for a small community of local sports
    > enthusiasts. I want to be able to create pages of information easily
    > (i.e. a content management system), but also allow for discussion on
    > multiple topics (i.e. a forum). Numerous people should be able to log
    > in and create or update content, under the guidance of an admin
    > naturally.
    >
    > Call me perverse, but I don't want to use phpBB for the forum. I'm
    > not seeing anything available in Python though - except for Karrigell.
    > is that the only option, or am I missing something?

    Dear Stewart,

    http://snakelets.sourceforge.net/frog/index.html - "Frog - a Python Web
    Logging tool".

    I have no experience with Snakelets or CherryPy. Apparently you can run
    Snakelets behind your existing webserver, so integrating it should be
    rather straight forward. You can probably proxy requests to the blog
    piece to the Snakelets process, while the rest of your site is served by
    CherryPY.

    Googling "Python Web Logging Application" brought up
    http://www.kryogenix.org/code/vellum/ as well.

    Thanks,
    -Kartic
    Kartic, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Stewart Midwinter

    Guest

    thanks Kartic. I use Frog already at my office. For this particular
    application, its design may not be appropriate, since each user gets
    her own blog space. I'm actually after a community blog, where any one
    of the registered users can post an item, or discuss on a forum.

    Drupal, from http://drupal.org, seems to do exactly what I want, except
    it's written in php.

    Thanks for the tip on Vellum. I'd like to find a few sites using it, so
    I can see it in action.

    , Apr 27, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > thanks Kartic. I use Frog already at my office. For this particular
    > application, its design may not be appropriate, since each user gets
    > her own blog space. I'm actually after a community blog, where any one
    > of the registered users can post an item, or discuss on a forum.

    It doesn't help you now but something like this is being
    considered for the next major version of Frog (2.x)...
    It will take a while before it's done though, so in the
    meantime you have to look for something else.

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Stewart Midwinter

    Guest

    thx Irmen. Frog is good at what it does, and of course it can't do
    everything (not yet, anyway! :) ) But it's interesting to note your
    future directions for the project.

    , Apr 27, 2005