App suggestion please: blog / forum software in Python

Stewart Midwinter

I'm starting up a new website for a small community of local sports
enthusiasts. I want to be able to create pages of information easily
(i.e. a content management system), but also allow for discussion on
multiple topics (i.e. a forum). Numerous people should be able to log
in and create or update content, under the guidance of an admin
naturally.

Call me perverse, but I don't want to use phpBB for the forum. I'm
not seeing anything available in Python though - except for Karrigell.
is that the only option, or am I missing something?

For the blog / CMS portion, I'm looking for something lightweight,
i.e. not Plone or Zope. I've looked at them before and they're total
overkill outside of an enterprise.Have any other suggestions?

I'm using CherryPy for a web application I'm building; it occurs to me
it could be used to build a discussion forum, but maybe someone's
already done that?

I currently use mySQL with CherryPy, but I'll add another db if necessary.

cheers,

Kartic

The Great 'Stewart Midwinter' uttered these words on 4/26/2005 6:18 PM:
I'm starting up a new website for a small community of local sports
enthusiasts. I want to be able to create pages of information easily
(i.e. a content management system), but also allow for discussion on
multiple topics (i.e. a forum). Numerous people should be able to log
in and create or update content, under the guidance of an admin
naturally.

Call me perverse, but I don't want to use phpBB for the forum. I'm
not seeing anything available in Python though - except for Karrigell.
is that the only option, or am I missing something?

Dear Stewart,

http://snakelets.sourceforge.net/frog/index.html - "Frog - a Python Web
Logging tool".

I have no experience with Snakelets or CherryPy. Apparently you can run
Snakelets behind your existing webserver, so integrating it should be
rather straight forward. You can probably proxy requests to the blog
piece to the Snakelets process, while the rest of your site is served by
CherryPY.

Googling "Python Web Logging Application" brought up
http://www.kryogenix.org/code/vellum/ as well.

Thanks,
-Kartic

stewart.midwinter

thanks Kartic. I use Frog already at my office. For this particular
application, its design may not be appropriate, since each user gets
her own blog space. I'm actually after a community blog, where any one
of the registered users can post an item, or discuss on a forum.

Drupal, from http://drupal.org, seems to do exactly what I want, except
it's written in php.

Thanks for the tip on Vellum. I'd like to find a few sites using it, so
I can see it in action.

Irmen de Jong

thanks Kartic. I use Frog already at my office. For this particular
application, its design may not be appropriate, since each user gets
her own blog space. I'm actually after a community blog, where any one
of the registered users can post an item, or discuss on a forum.

It doesn't help you now but something like this is being
considered for the next major version of Frog (2.x)...
It will take a while before it's done though, so in the
meantime you have to look for something else.

--Irmen

stewart.midwinter

thx Irmen. Frog is good at what it does, and of course it can't do
everything (not yet, anyway! :) ) But it's interesting to note your
future directions for the project.