Appearance of Web Form controls in non-IE browsers

Alex

Just starting with ASP.Net, sorry in for the basic
question.

All my Web Form controls (text boxes, combo boxes, data
grids, etc.) appear totally different when viewed in any
browser other than IE: differt size, background, and
borders. Is there an easy way to achieve consistency
between how the controls look in IE and, say, Netscape.

Many thanks in advance.

S. Justin Gengo

Alex,

The easiest way to do this is to set the TargetSchema property of the page
object.

You can do this in design view. Set the property window's drop down to
document and you'll see the TargetSchema property in the list. You can set a
page's output to target older browsers if you want.

If you are targeting newer browsers (netscape 7.0, IE6, opera's latest
version, etc.) They should all appear pretty similar. My site for example
appears exactly the same in all and my target schema is set for internet
explorer 5.0.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

alex

Justin -

Thanks for your reply. I've checked my TargetSchema
property, and it is indeed set to IE5. But the size of my
text boxes jumps significantly from one browse to
another. Could you think of something else? Otherwise,
thanks again for trying to help out.

Alex

Sabre

Alex you might be able to do something like (maybe in Page_Load) ...

Textbox11.Attributes.Add("style",
"width:160px;left:144px;top:40px;position:absolute;")

Button4.Attributes.Add("style",
"height:24px;width:76px;left:312px;top:40px;position:absolute;")

It can be a pain doing lots of controls, but renders better in Netscape etc
than without.
Hope this helps
Graeme

Steven Campbell

Alex said:
Just starting with ASP.Net, sorry in for the basic
question.

All my Web Form controls (text boxes, combo boxes, data
grids, etc.) appear totally different when viewed in any
browser other than IE: differt size, background, and
borders. Is there an easy way to achieve consistency
between how the controls look in IE and, say, Netscape.

Many thanks in advance.

For some controls, there is a "columns" property that works more
consistently across broswers than the width property. The number
corresponds to the number of characters to show in the box. To make it
work, you must leave the width property blank.