append static text for all files in a directory

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Srinath A., Feb 24, 2009.

  1. Srinath A.

    Srinath A. Guest

    How to append static text for all files in application .
    I want to append comment lines on top of each file in app/controllers/

    how can iterate and append in the app ?

    I used this for single file :

    filename = File.open("application.rb","a") do |f|
    f.puts "append to file";
    f.close();
    end

    thanks !!

    Srinath A., Feb 24, 2009

  2. If your code is normally executed, the following code will give you =20
    some hint.

    Dir.glob("*.rb") do |file|
    puts file
    end

    2009. 02. 24, =BF=C0=C8=C4 3:16, Srinath A. =C0=DB=BC=BA:

    Jun Young Kim, Feb 24, 2009

  3. Srinath A.

    Srinath A. Guest

    Hi jun,

    thanks for reply.

    how can we append text on top of each file in all .rb files through
    iterating ??

    thanks !

    Srinath A., Feb 24, 2009
  4. * Srinath A. <> (07:16) schrieb:

    > How to append static text for all files in application .
    > I want to append comment lines on top of each file in app/controllers/

    Appending is "inserting" text at the end of the file. If you want to
    modify something before the end you got to read it all in, do your
    changes, and write it out again.

    If your Files are small enough to be read in whole, it's quite easy in
    Ruby:

    content = File.read(filename)
    File.open(filename, "w") do | f |
    f << "# comment\n"
    f << content
    end

    mfg, simon .... untested

    Simon Krahnke, Feb 24, 2009
  5. Srinath A.

    Srinath A. Guest

    The code below was working fine , but deleting the first line in the
    files and writing the added one :

    Dir.glob("application.rb") do |file|
    File.open(file,"r+") do |f|
    puts file
    f.puts "Commenting is very common style.\nCommenting helps more easy
    readability"
    end
    end

    how can we prepend text in file with out deleting the existing content
    ??

    thanks !!

    Srinath A., Feb 25, 2009