Append XML document

glbdev

Hi,

I posted this in "microsoft.public.xml.msxml-webrelease" but now
realize it should probably have been in the ASP group. Sorry if that
causes any problems.

I have an XML document like:
<MainNode>
<Value>First Value</Value>
</MainNode>
<MainNode>
<Value>Second Value</Value>
</MainNode>
<MainNode>
<Value>Third Value</Value>
</MainNode>
<MainNode>
<Value>Fourth Value</Value>
</MainNode>
</dataroot>

I need to append information to this file using ASP. How do I do this?
I am just starting out in XML so sample code would really help.

Also, I may need to remove a node from this file ... is that possible?
If so, how?

Thanks!!
- Gary

Anthony Jones

[...]

Have a run through this tutorial:-

http://www.w3schools.com/dom/default.asp

also:-

http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/default.asp

Bob Barrows [MVP]

[...]

Where is this xml coming from? A file? Are you building it in code? I
will assume it is contained in a file:

<%
dim xmldoc, root, node
set xmldoc=createobject("msxml2.domdocument")
xmldoc.load("filename.xml")
set root = xmldoc.documentelement

'To add a MainNode with "Fifth Value", do this:
set node = xmldoc.createelement("MainNode")
node.text = "Fifth Value"
root.appendchild node
response.write xmldoc.xml & "<br><hr>"

'To remove the "Second Value" node:
set node=nothing
set node = xmldoc.selectsinglenode("//MainMode[. = 'Second Value']")
if not node is nothing then
root.removechild node
end if
response.write xmldoc.xml & "<br><hr>"
%>

glbdev

Bob,

Yes, the <dataroot> tag is in the XML file, I just removed it for the
posting.

Thanks for the help!!

- Gary

--