appending a unique id to the url

Guest

HI,

I have a question regarding the sessions. When I go to home page in my
website and if I look at the url in the address bar, it is saying something
like
https://www.mywebsite.com/(rn5qci45z5a4vhnsuierdeei)/home.aspx

But I am not knowing how it appended the id (rn5qci45z5a4vhnsuierdeei). Is
it done in IIS? I have looked at the code in home.aspx but I didn't find any
code that does that. Please let me know if you have any ideas?

Thanks.
sridhar.

Guest

Thank you. Someone set that option to true. When I looked at the
documentation, it is mentioned that the default value is false. Is there a
reason that it should be true? Which option would be secure? Please let me
know.

Thanks,
sridhar.

Ken Cox said:
I suspect that's being added by ASP.NET to implement cookieless session
state.

Perhaps you can check the web.config file to see if that's the case? Look
for cookieless="true"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/cpgenref/html/gngrfsessionstatesection.asp

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Sridhar said:
HI,

I have a question regarding the sessions. When I go to home page in my
website and if I look at the url in the address bar, it is saying
something
like
https://www.mywebsite.com/(rn5qci45z5a4vhnsuierdeei)/home.aspx

But I am not knowing how it appended the id (rn5qci45z5a4vhnsuierdeei). Is
it done in IIS? I have looked at the code in home.aspx but I didn't find
any
code that does that. Please let me know if you have any ideas?

Thanks.
sridhar.

Guest

Howdy Sridhar,

Yes, there is. As name indicates, cookieless session is invented for
applications that require session state and must not use cookie as SessionID
storage (there are many reason for that - the obvious one is that client
browser simply does not support cookies as some PDAs don't. Another major
reason is security - many users may block cookies from being accepted by
browser).

Hope this helps
--
Milosz Skalecki