Apple finally releases Java 6 for OS X

Discussion in 'Java' started by Daniel Dyer, Dec 14, 2007.

  1. Daniel Dyer

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    Daniel Dyer, Dec 14, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Daniel Dyer <"You don't need it"> wrote:
    >Only just spotted this
    >(http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)
    >and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.
    >
    >It's available now from the "Software Update" feature.

    This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
    update utility has to say about it:

    ---
    Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 6 delivers improved reliability and
    compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 and Java 1.4 on
    Mac OS X 10.4.10 and later. This release updates J2SE 5.0 to version
    1.5.0_13 and Java 1.4 to version 1.4.2_16.

    For more details on this Update, please visit this website:

    This installer guides you through the steps necessary to update
    Java. To get started, click Continue.
    ---

    Mind you, I am still on Tiger, but my guess would be it's the same
    story for Leopard.

    Cheers,
    Bent D
    powered by emacs

    Bent C Dalager, Dec 14, 2007

  3. Daniel Dyer

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:06:25 -0000, Bent C Dalager <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Daniel Dyer <"You don't need it"> wrote:
    >> Only just spotted this
    >> (http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)
    >> and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.
    >>
    >> It's available now from the "Software Update" feature.

    > This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
    > update utility has to say about it:

    Oops. Thanks, I'm still waiting for the download and install to
    complete. I'll read more carefully next time.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Dec 14, 2007
  4. Daniel Dyer

    Joe Attardi Guest

    Bent C Dalager wrote:
    > This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
    > update utility has to say about it:

    Damn, you guys got me excited over nothing. :)

    Joe Attardi, Dec 14, 2007
  5. Daniel Dyer

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    Still waiting for Java 6 on Applet (was Re: Apple finally releases Java 6 for OS X)

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:18:14 -0000, Joe Attardi <> wrote:

    > Bent C Dalager wrote:
    >> This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
    >> update utility has to say about it:

    > Damn, you guys got me excited over nothing. :)

    Sorry :)

    At least Bent corrected me before I'd thrown my old laptop out of the
    window (I only keep it around for Java 6 stuff).

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Dec 14, 2007
  6. Daniel Dyer

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Dec 14, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:50:59 -0000, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need
    > it"> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    > >(http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)
    > >

    > It says that Release 6 is actually just an update to 1.5, not a 1.6.
    > Sounds like some smarmy marketing guy wanted to claim Leopard
    > supported Java 6.

    What marketing guy would that be? I haven't visited that blog, but
    there's no update to Java in Leopard. Leopard shipped with 1.5.0_13,
    and this update brings Tiger's version up to that level.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 17, 2007
  8. In article <fjuk7h$uce$>,
    (Bent C Dalager) wrote:

    > Mind you, I am still on Tiger, but my guess would be it's the same
    > story for Leopard.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Bent D

    Actually, no -- there's no Java update for Leopard, which shipped with
    Java 1.5.0_13 already in place.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 17, 2007
  9. Daniel Dyer

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:29:45 -0600, "Steve W. Jackson"
    who said :

    >What marketing guy would that be? I haven't visited that blog, but
    >there's no update to Java in Leopard. Leopard shipped with 1.5.0_13,
    >and this update brings Tiger's version up to that level.

    Marketing people love wording that suggests greater capability that
    actually exists without literally lying. E.g. lose up to 10 pounds in
    4 weeks GUARANTEED.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary