Apple finally releases Java 6 for OS X

Bent C Dalager

Only just spotted this
(http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)
and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.

It's available now from the "Software Update" feature.

This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
update utility has to say about it:

---
Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 6 delivers improved reliability and
compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 and Java 1.4 on
Mac OS X 10.4.10 and later. This release updates J2SE 5.0 to version
1.5.0_13 and Java 1.4 to version 1.4.2_16.

For more details on this Update, please visit this website:

This installer guides you through the steps necessary to update
Java. To get started, click Continue.
---

Mind you, I am still on Tiger, but my guess would be it's the same
story for Leopard.

Cheers,
Bent D

Daniel Dyer

This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
update utility has to say about it:

Oops. Thanks, I'm still waiting for the download and install to
complete. I'll read more carefully next time.

Dan.

Joe Attardi

Bent said:
This isn't Java 6, it is Java 5 for OSX, release 6. This is what their
update utility has to say about it:

Damn, you guys got me excited over nothing. :)

Daniel Dyer

Damn, you guys got me excited over nothing. :)

Sorry :)

At least Bent corrected me before I'd thrown my old laptop out of the
window (I only keep it around for Java 6 stuff).

Dan.

Steve W. Jackson

Roedy Green said:
It says that Release 6 is actually just an update to 1.5, not a 1.6.
Sounds like some smarmy marketing guy wanted to claim Leopard
supported Java 6.

What marketing guy would that be? I haven't visited that blog, but
there's no update to Java in Leopard. Leopard shipped with 1.5.0_13,
and this update brings Tiger's version up to that level.

Steve W. Jackson

Mind you, I am still on Tiger, but my guess would be it's the same
story for Leopard.

Cheers,
Bent D

Actually, no -- there's no Java update for Leopard, which shipped with
Java 1.5.0_13 already in place.

Roedy Green

What marketing guy would that be? I haven't visited that blog, but
there's no update to Java in Leopard. Leopard shipped with 1.5.0_13,
and this update brings Tiger's version up to that level.

Marketing people love wording that suggests greater capability that
actually exists without literally lying. E.g. lose up to 10 pounds in
4 weeks GUARANTEED.