Applet as DSO in Browser example? MSIE only?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Richard Maher, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    Recently on the web I came across documentation discussing Data Source
    Objects (DSO) in relation to browser and html functionality (in particular
    the ability to declare a Java applet as a data source that can be used with
    any or the HTML tags that take the src="" attribute). I find it interesting
    and potentially *very* useful and would like to know more, so if anyone can
    answer any of the following questions that would be great: -

    1) Do you have an example of an Applet functioning as an applet to something
    like a <Table> that I can see?

    2) Is this a MicrosoftIE-only feature? I can't find it in other html tag
    reference sites. (I'm using w3schools as a sort of yardstick; is that less
    than optimal?) What do other browsers do? Is Microsoft deprecating this
    along with other Java stuff?

    3) I've searched in c.l.j.p/c.l.javascript and the only references to DSOs
    appear to be server based (or data sources other than Applet) I'm guessing
    they're entirely different beasts; is that correct?

    4) Anyone ever passed a BufferedImage over to Javascript for display on a
    web page? (I know it'd be single threaded and all those little .GIFs and
    ..JPEGs are designed for parallel http webservers, but think of a blob in a
    database that has an employee photo of geological survey or something. . .)

    Thanks for any help!

    Regards Richard Maher

    PS. I am already passing result set <options>s back to a <select> list quite
    happily; it's the tighter integration between the html tags and my socket
    that I'm striving for here.

    One of the places I've been looking: -
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/databind/datasources.asp

    Richard Maher, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Richard Maher

    VK Guest

    On Mar 10, 4:24 am, "Richard Maher" <>
    wrote:
    > Recently on the web I came across documentation discussing Data Source
    > Objects (DSO) in relation to browser and html functionality

    That was a long waiting ;-) - DSO / Data Binding is supported since IE
    4.0
    All relevant tags and attributes are part of HTML 4 DTD

    > (in particular
    > the ability to declare a Java applet as a data source that can be used with
    > any or the HTML tags that take the src="" attribute).

    I don't agree with such concept description.
    DSO is part of Microsoft Data Binding technology. First you define a
    an object on your page connected with tabular data source on your
    server (static or dynamic). It is made by using data binding ActiveX
    object coming with IE installation. The reference to Java applet on
    MSDN is a bit mysterious to me. I guess for IE 4/5 Microsoft allowed
    to use their JVM for bridging to the needed ActiveX, so people could
    use either <object> or <applet> depending on personal preferences. In
    either case it is definitely in relation to the Microsoft own JVM
    which is not provided any more. It has nothing to do with Sun plugin.

    After DSO object properly initialized, you map (bind) particular data
    columns in the source to relevant columns in HTML table template. This
    way you don't need to build the table itself - it gets filled and
    updated automatically on source data change. Later DSO Microsoft
    proposed IXMLHTTPRequest object. Current AJAX is IXMLHTTPRequest
    pulled out by rivals out of sense and context from Microsoft Data
    Binding. They got the motor but they left everything else out. Instead
    XHR got transformed into some "hidden browser" used for manual data
    retrieval and manual page updates. Seems very silly and ineffective
    but I guess developers didn't have any choice for cross-browser
    solutions. Besides Gecko browsers with XBL support all other UAs stock
    in the middle age of the data treatment and still cannot get onto
    mainstream.

    > I find it interesting
    > and potentially *very* useful and would like to know more, so if anyone can
    > answer any of the following questions that would be great: -
    >
    > 1) Do you have an example of an Applet functioning as an applet to something
    > like a <Table> that I can see?

    For DSO / data binding hardly such sample can be provided - see above.
    It is easy to imagine an applet or flash retrieving data from server
    and then communication with the host document DOM to display such
    data. But it really adds nothing to a regular ajaxoid made with
    javascript.

    > 2) Is this a MicrosoftIE-only feature?

    As DSO / Data Binding / relevant HTML tags and attributes - yes, it is
    Windows IE only feature.

    > I can't find it in other html tag
    > reference sites. (I'm using w3schools as a sort of yardstick; is that less
    > than optimal?)

    Use the producer manuals instead:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/databind/data_binding.asp

    > 3) I've searched in c.l.j.p/c.l.javascript and the only references to DSOs
    > appear to be server based (or data sources other than Applet) I'm guessing
    > they're entirely different beasts; is that correct?

    Not sure if I understood the question properly. DSO is external to the
    document. It is a bridge between a tabular data server-side and data
    binding capable HTML "display" client-side. Because of the technology
    remained IE-only you will not find many discussions of it on clj. You
    will have much better results on microsoft.public.* forums

    > 4) Anyone ever passed a BufferedImage over to Javascript for display on a
    > web page?

    What is BufferedImage in context of "passed over to javascript"?
    Javascript doesn't have byte-level access to images. All you can pass
    to it is image URL.

    VK, Mar 10, 2007

  3. Hi VK,

    Thanks for the detailed reply!

    "VK" <> wrote in message

    > That was a long waiting ;-) - DSO / Data Binding is supported since IE

    Doin' my best to catch up.

    > > (in particular
    > > the ability to declare a Java applet as a data source that can be used

    with
    > > any or the HTML tags that take the src="" attribute).

    > I don't agree with such concept description.

    That's exactly what my rose-coloured glasses (or beer-goggles) told me it
    did :)

    > In
    > either case it is definitely in relation to the Microsoft own JVM
    > which is not provided any more. It has nothing to do with Sun plugin.> >

    2) Is this a MicrosoftIE-only feature?

    > As DSO / Data Binding / relevant HTML tags and attributes - yes, it is
    > Windows IE only feature.

    OK, that's all very disappointing.

    > It is easy to imagine an applet or flash retrieving data from server
    > and then communication with the host document DOM to display such
    > data.

    Certainly is.

    > But it really adds nothing to a regular ajaxoid made with
    > javascript.

    You seem confident.

    Cheers Richard Maher

    Richard Maher, Mar 17, 2007