    prompt the user to download the java plug in?

    Thanks!

    Dakshin

    Bush will disarm all workers next, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Andrew Thompson, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:<1sg0h35ehe3au.g66ywl2z88t6$>...
    > On 9 Apr 2004 06:30:25 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:
    >
    > > The applet

    > URL?

    Following the advice from a thread in this group used HtmlConvert. The
    applet
    is now visible, but not looking quite right. The applet implements a
    JTable
    and has a tool bar on the top, a scroll bar on the right with
    rows and columns in the middle. The toolbar looks fine but the scroll
    bar and table are misplaced with the scroll bar appearing only
    partially at the top where the toolbar buttons are. The applet is
    visible for intranet users and I don't have the privilege to post it
    in the public domain.

    Thanks
    Dakshin

    Bush will disarm all workers next, Apr 9, 2004
  4. On 9 Apr 2004 12:16:08 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:<1sg0h35ehe3au.g66ywl2z88t6$>...
    >> On 9 Apr 2004 06:30:25 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:
    >>
    >>> The applet

    >> URL?

    > Following the advice from a thread in this group used HtmlConvert.

    That was not particularly good advice,
    especially when you are just in
    'testing' mode.

    Your applet will work using the applet
    tag as long as the user has a version
    at, or higher than, what you made it for
    (excepting esoteric circumstances).

    Since most developers run 1.4/1.5, it is
    reasonable to expect we have a suitable version.

    When you go public, it is better to
    use my solution in preference to that
    botched tag soup that htmlconverter
    churns out. You can see my solution
    to Java versioning at..
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp>

    > The applet
    > is now visible,

    Where?

    ....wait a second!

    I was just looking _real_ close
    at your original post..
    "B is using 1.4.1 JVM (Microsoft).
    The applet code is developed in swing.
    Isn't swing supported in 1.4.1 JVM?"

    Skimming, I saw 1.4... and JVM and Swing,
    but missed _Microsoft_

    Microsoft _Never_ made a 1.4 VM,
    their VM is stuck in 1.1.4 note that
    is Java Version 1.1(.4).

    In answer to your question, yes Swing
    is in 1.4, no it is not in 1.1.

    Swing was available as a 'plug-in' jar
    towards the end of 1.1, but was not in
    the core classes.
    Swing was in the core classes at 1.2.

    Since your friend obviously has an MS VM
    installed and armed, could you do me a
    favour and get them to do my little test
    over at <http://www.physci.org/ms/msclassfile.jsp>
    just surf on in there and click 'forward information'

    They might also want to check this out,
    to protect themselves from that same VM.
    <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Bush will disarm all workers next

    Roedy Green Guest

    all workers next) wrote or quoted :

    >The applet is displayed correctly on browser on machine A, but not on
    >machine B. Both A&B are using IE 6 browsers and A is using 1.4.2 JVM
    >(Sun) and B is using 1.4.1 JVM (Microsoft). The applet code is
    >developed in swing. Isn't swing supported in 1.4.1 JVM? Do I need to
    >install Sun JVM plug in on machine B? How can I set up the html to
    >prompt the user to download the java plug in?

    It SHOULD work. Try looking at this page with both browsers to make
    sure you have the JVM installed that you think you do.

    http://mindprod.com/wassup.html

    When the applet fails, check out the console and report the exception.
    It will give you more of a clue what is going wrong.

    Normally all browsers use the same version of Java automatically.

    You can also try http://opera.com for a fast browser than does work
    with Java.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Andrew & Roedy,
    Many thanks for your suggestions. The problem with applet display was fixed
    by setting the width,height,left and top of browser window using javascript.
    I will look into your solutions in more detail and followup on them.
    Many thanks once more.
    Dakshin

    Bush will disarm all workers next, Apr 11, 2004
  7. On 11 Apr 2004 12:18:39 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:

    > Andrew & Roedy,
    > Many thanks for your suggestions. The problem with applet display was fixed
    > by setting the width,height,left and top of browser window using javascript

    ?!?!? Are you _mad_?!?

    Changing the browser window size using JavaScript
    has absolutely no connection with Java versioning.

    And, irritatingly, you ignored both times
    when I asked for the ** URL **.

    **Where** is this Applet that requires JavaScript
    to set the browser window size before it can
    run Swing on the MS VM?

    [ And while we are at it, could you put your
    rather than top-post them? ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 11, 2004