Applet Ignorance

Pete, Rose & the Kids

It's been a while since I've enjoyed writing any Java.

It looks like I might get an opportunity to write a mini CAD applet.

For a long time now, I've been under the impression that applets can only
use a JDK of 1.2. This is based, from memory, on me trying to use 1.4 at
the time & finding that a number of classes just would work.

Is my belief false?
Is it based solely upon the browser?

I ask because when I go looking, I find applets mentioning Swing, which I
was also under the impression was NOT available in 1.2.

Thankful to any who can help resolve my ignorance.

Vincent van Beveren

For a long time now, I've been under the impression that applets can only
use a JDK of 1.2. This is based, from memory, on me trying to use 1.4 at
the time & finding that a number of classes just would work.

Is my belief false?

Yes, using the lastest JRE install you can safely use Java 5 in any
modern browser. Embedding should be done with the Applet tags and should
provide no problems. There used to be a problem with it, when everyone
used Java 1.1 because it was very 'safe'. This had to do with that MS
only delivered MS JVM 1.1. in their Internet Explorer.
Is it based solely upon the browser?

Modern applets are loaded from the Java plugin. In 'the early years'
most windows uses used internet explorer without Sun JAVA. IE shipped
only with their own Java 1.1 implementation. Now that the sun-microsoft
battles have been fought you no longer need to assume this. As far as I
know most people have one of the lastest versions of java now. You can
safly redirect people to java.com to let them get the latest Java
version (if they don't already) because with broadband connections its
really not that much of a download, and use Swing to your hearts content.
I ask because when I go looking, I find applets mentioning Swing, which I
was also under the impression was NOT available in 1.2.

Most applets where java 1.1. Swing as only available from 1.2 and onwards.

Vincent