    I ask because when I go looking, I find applets mentioning Swing, which I
    was also under the impression was NOT available in 1.2.

    Thankful to any who can help resolve my ignorance.

    Pete, Rose & the Kids, Jul 25, 2006

  2. > For a long time now, I've been under the impression that applets can only
    > use a JDK of 1.2. This is based, from memory, on me trying to use 1.4 at
    > the time & finding that a number of classes just would work.
    >
    > Is my belief false?

    Yes, using the lastest JRE install you can safely use Java 5 in any
    modern browser. Embedding should be done with the Applet tags and should
    provide no problems. There used to be a problem with it, when everyone
    used Java 1.1 because it was very 'safe'. This had to do with that MS
    only delivered MS JVM 1.1. in their Internet Explorer.

    > Is it based solely upon the browser?

    Modern applets are loaded from the Java plugin. In 'the early years'
    most windows uses used internet explorer without Sun JAVA. IE shipped
    only with their own Java 1.1 implementation. Now that the sun-microsoft
    battles have been fought you no longer need to assume this. As far as I
    know most people have one of the lastest versions of java now. You can
    safly redirect people to java.com to let them get the latest Java
    version (if they don't already) because with broadband connections its
    really not that much of a download, and use Swing to your hearts content.

    > I ask because when I go looking, I find applets mentioning Swing, which I
    > was also under the impression was NOT available in 1.2.

    Most applets where java 1.1. Swing as only available from 1.2 and onwards.

    Vincent

    Vincent van Beveren, Jul 25, 2006