Applet not instantiating behind firewall

Ike

What might cause a signed applet, which otherwise (i.e. when not firewalled)
loads and executes, to fail to load (leaving the dreaded 'X" in the upper
left corner of the window designated to it by the browswer) under Java 1.5
when behind a firewall whereby port 80 is wide open?

I thought applets loaded through port 80? What, in a firewall configuration
of this sort, might cause the firewall not to find the applet -- it is a
simple class file residing on a server other than the one that is being
called up in the browser (and when NOT behind a firewall, it always comes up
fine). Thanks, Ike

Oliver Wong

Ike said:
What might cause a signed applet, which otherwise (i.e. when not
firewalled)
loads and executes, to fail to load (leaving the dreaded 'X" in the upper
left corner of the window designated to it by the browswer) under Java 1.5
when behind a firewall whereby port 80 is wide open?

I thought applets loaded through port 80? What, in a firewall
configuration
of this sort, might cause the firewall not to find the applet -- it is a
simple class file residing on a server other than the one that is being
called up in the browser (and when NOT behind a firewall, it always comes
up
fine). Thanks, Ike

From what I understand, your firewall is blocking outgoing connections.
The JRE may be trying to connect to a remote server to validate the
signature on the applet, and failing to do so (because your firewall is
blocking that connection, which might not be on port 80), prevents the
applet from executing.

- Oliver