Applet Security

Bradley E. Rintoul

Hello:

I'm trying to create an applet that will make a socket connection to a
3rd party host. I've seen some conflicting information on even the
Sun site about how/if this is possible. I've seen that it *is*
possible, but only with a signed applet and some other stuff that's
rather confusing. ("Security is haaaaard" - ha ha)

Most of the documentation I'm coming across is very old. A lot of it
refers to Netscape Security stuff from 1999. Does anyone know of a
good reference about this topic?

Thanks in advance,

B. Rintoul

Andrew Thompson

(...Signed Applets)
...Does anyone know of a
good reference about this topic?

You will probably get better links from others, Bradley,
but thought I would add my 2c wortth quickly.

Ignore any documentation that is browser specific.

Signing and jar are both fairly old, I am not surprised
that docs are dated around 1999.

I saw this link might be helpful..
http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/

If you are doing that, you may as well deploy
your applet using JWS. Java Web Start is
more recent than Jar'ing/Signing.
Start here..
http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/index.html

HTH

Bradley E. Rintoul

Andrew Thompson said:
Signing and jar are both fairly old, I am not surprised
that docs are dated around 1999.

I saw this link might be helpful..
http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/

If you are doing that, you may as well deploy
your applet using JWS. Java Web Start is
more recent than Jar'ing/Signing.
Start here..
http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/index.html

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the example, but the Web Start
idea will not work I don't think. I'm trying to develop an extension
for the Firebird browser and my plans involve making a socket
connection to a 3rd party machine. I'd just like to test it first and
find out if what I want to do is feasible, then look into the
difficulties/costs involved with distributing widely. Just getting it
to work on my own machine is my first goal...