    good reference about this topic?

    Thanks in advance,

    B. Rintoul
    Bradley E. Rintoul, Nov 10, 2003

  2. "Bradley E. Rintoul" <> wrote in message
    (...Signed Applets)
    > ...Does anyone know of a
    > good reference about this topic?

    You will probably get better links from others, Bradley,
    but thought I would add my 2c wortth quickly.

    Ignore any documentation that is browser specific.

    Signing and jar are both fairly old, I am not surprised
    that docs are dated around 1999.

    I saw this link might be helpful..
    http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/

    If you are doing that, you may as well deploy
    your applet using JWS. Java Web Start is
    more recent than Jar'ing/Signing.
    Start here..
    http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/index.html

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.AThompson.info/
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 10, 2003

  3. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message news:<hOSrb.5691$>...

    > Signing and jar are both fairly old, I am not surprised
    > that docs are dated around 1999.
    >
    > I saw this link might be helpful..
    > http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/
    >
    > If you are doing that, you may as well deploy
    > your applet using JWS. Java Web Start is
    > more recent than Jar'ing/Signing.
    > Start here..
    > http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/index.html

    Thanks for the reply. I will look into the example, but the Web Start
    idea will not work I don't think. I'm trying to develop an extension
    for the Firebird browser and my plans involve making a socket
    connection to a 3rd party machine. I'd just like to test it first and
    find out if what I want to do is feasible, then look into the
    difficulties/costs involved with distributing widely. Just getting it
    to work on my own machine is my first goal...
    Bradley E. Rintoul, Nov 11, 2003