APPLET tag support in Java Plug-in for IE

Discussion in 'Java' started by BG, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. BG

    BG Guest

    >> Felix Dejavu wrote:
    >>> I've been troubled by the APPLET tag quite a bit. Sun claims that as
    >>> of Java Plug-in 1.3.1, the APPLET tag should redirect to Sun's VM
    >>> instead of Microsoft's. However, My tests of the APPLET, OBJECT and
    >> >EMBED tags reveal different results. I made an applet that spits out
    >> >the VM version and vendor and compiled it with -target 1.1 to make it
    >> >compatible with old VMs. Then I made a page with that applet loaded
    >> >via APPLET, OBJECT and EMBED tags. Here is the page (source in same
    >> >directory):
    >>>
    >>>http://www.extractionpoint.com/~skillwaste/java/VMViewer.html

    >>t works for me with Internet Explorer 6 (6.0.2600.0000) on Windows
    >>000 Professional:
    >>

    >Applet Tag and Object Tag:
    >>
    >>java.version = 1.4.1_01
    >>java.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
    >>

    >>Gaetano Bigliardi
    >>
    >>(It works for me also with Mozilla 1.3, Applet Tag and EMBED Tag, same
    >>VM)
    >>

    >Thanks for responding. So it's just me I guess. I have Windows 98, and the
    >APPLET tag consistently comes up:

    >java.version = 1.1.4
    >java.vendor = Microsoft Corp.
    >
    >I tried cycling the "Use Java plug-in for applet tag" option in the IE
    >preferences and also setting the VM in the plug-in preferences, but no
    >luck. It does use Sun on my XP machine though. Does it work for others
    >with 98? Maybe I shouldn't worry about it...

    I have the same problem...I use IE6 on XP and 98, XP uses sun's plug in all
    the time...98 only uses it when the html specifies it (with
    object/embed)...the applet tag is still trying to use a different VM :(

    I didn't see any solution so I'll ask again...Is there a way to force IE to
    use sun's plug in with the <applet> tag on a windows98 machine?

    (I did check sun's plug in in internet options/advanced, removed msvm, put
    it back on, or any other possible combination....no luck)

    BG, Jul 22, 2003

  2. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:07:52 -0400, "BG" <> wrote:

> [...]

    I think, the java plug-in 1.4.x is necessary to use the applet tag in
    IE 6.0

    Lothar Leidner

    Lothar Leidner, Jul 22, 2003