applet to applet - servlet model

Tedy

Hi!

I have an applet which takes XML document and with help of SAX it finds
values.

Structure of XML looks in shortcut like this:

< category >

< block >

< value > 5,234 </ value >

< possible result > 3,9219 </ possible result >

< possible result > 6,28365 </ possible result >

< possible result > 32.768 </ possible result >

</ block >

</ category >

< category >

< block >

< value > 23 </ value >

< possible result > 4345 </ possible result >

< possible result > 637.9 </ possible result >

</ block >

</ category >

< category >

< block >

< value > 2.8 </ value >

< like for > 5,234 </ like for >

</ block >

</ category >

Applet has three classes . First class has JTextField from which I receive
values and takes them to second class that starts SAX with properly
values - and third class which contain overloaded SAX functions. Results
come back to first class.

I have two questions:

1:

Is it hard to change such applet in to applet - servlet model?

Problem is that this applet takes data form XML document and the document is
on the www server. The time that this action last becomes longer and longer
because XML file is growing.

When the file was small every thin was OK ;)

Where can I find tutorials or howto documentation ?

I have written some programs in java but never in JSP or servlet.

Question 2 :

Is there any programs that helps manage such XML data base. Especially I am
interested in:

Sorting categories blocks by the value in < value > tag, checking syntax.

Thanks for all help

Tedy

Andrew Thompson

I have an applet which takes XML document and with help of SAX it finds
values.
I have two questions:

1:
Is it hard to change such applet in to applet - servlet model?

Qn. 1a.

Is there any point to doing that?

You need to transmit the data from the server to the
client, then the cleant back to the server, is that right?

In between, your applet does transformations on the XML.

If you were to do that work on the server, that would increase
the need to transfer data between the server and the (..could be
an) applet (..but by this stage the user can do what they need
with an HTML FORM input textarea) considerably.
Problem is that this applet takes data form XML document and the document is
on the www server. The time that this action last becomes longer and longer
because XML file is growing.

How do you expect the user to do anything useful with it, unless
you transmit the bytes from the server to the client? (and back)
Question 2 :

Is there any programs that helps manage such XML data base.

Yes. They are generally known as databases.

It sounds as if this job is far better suited to an actual
D/B on the server for the queries. <my advice>Don't p*ss
about, trying to reinvent what already exists.</my advice>