Applet versioning problem

Kevin CH

We have certain Applets written on JDK1.2.2, and a recent upgrade of
JRE on the workstation to 1.6 made the Applets unable to load on the
workstations. The root cause of the problem shown by Java Console is
the following:

One solution I've come up so far is installing JDK1.2 on the
workstations and configure Java Plugin to force JRE1.6 to execute the
applet using JRE1.2 (e.g., java -version:1.2 MyClass) but that's very
clumsy.

Anyone knows any other ways to reconcile this problem without
modification to the code? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kevin

mickey

We have certain Applets written on JDK1.2.2, and a recent upgrade of
JRE on the workstation to 1.6 made the Applets unable to load on the
workstations. The root cause of the problem shown by Java Console is
the following:

One solution I've come up so far is installing JDK1.2 on the
workstations and configure Java Plugin to force JRE1.6 to execute the
applet using JRE1.2 (e.g., java -version:1.2 MyClass) but that's very
clumsy.

Anyone knows any other ways to reconcile this problem without
modification to the code? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kevin

hi.. one solution is very much inn
U know applets r out of date
USE FRAMES INSTED OF APPLETS
everything u do in applets ..u can do it in frames
try this out ..
its much =better

Andrew Thompson

We have certain Applets written on JDK1.2.2, and a recent upgrade of
JRE on the workstation to 1.6 made the Applets unable to load ....
One solution I've come up so far is installing JDK1.2 on the
workstations and configure Java Plugin to force JRE1.6 to execute the
applet using JRE1.2 ....
Anyone knows any other ways to reconcile this problem without
modification to the code?

Java web start. It can launch applets(1),
and handle the versioning(2) for you.

1) <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>
2) <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.5-all.jnlp>

Andrew T.

Mickey Segal

Andrew Thompson said:
Java web start. It can launch applets(1),
and handle the versioning(2) for you.

How common is it for people in locked-down environments to be blocked from
using Java Web Start?