Applet versioning problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Kevin CH, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. Kevin CH

    Kevin CH Guest

    We have certain Applets written on JDK1.2.2, and a recent upgrade of
    JRE on the workstation to 1.6 made the Applets unable to load on the
    workstations. The root cause of the problem shown by Java Console is
    the following:

    >>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/plugin/protocol/PluginProxyHandler
    >> at DCSAppInvoker.getProxyInfo(DCSAppInvoker.java:200)
    >> at DCSAppInvoker.init(DCSAppInvoker.java:73)
    >> at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
    >> at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    One solution I've come up so far is installing JDK1.2 on the
    workstations and configure Java Plugin to force JRE1.6 to execute the
    applet using JRE1.2 (e.g., java -version:1.2 MyClass) but that's very
    clumsy.

    Anyone knows any other ways to reconcile this problem without
    modification to the code? Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Kevin
    Kevin CH, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Kevin CH

    mickey Guest

    On Feb 20, 2:11 am, "Kevin CH" <>
    wrote:
    > We have certain Applets written on JDK1.2.2, and a recent upgrade of
    > JRE on the workstation to 1.6 made the Applets unable to load on the
    > workstations. The root cause of the problem shown by Java Console is
    > the following:
    >
    > >>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/plugin/protocol/PluginProxyHandler
    > >> at DCSAppInvoker.getProxyInfo(DCSAppInvoker.java:200)
    > >> at DCSAppInvoker.init(DCSAppInvoker.java:73)
    > >> at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
    > >> at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    > One solution I've come up so far is installing JDK1.2 on the
    > workstations and configure Java Plugin to force JRE1.6 to execute the
    > applet using JRE1.2 (e.g., java -version:1.2 MyClass) but that's very
    > clumsy.
    >
    > Anyone knows any other ways to reconcile this problem without
    > modification to the code? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kevin

    hi.. one solution is very much inn
    U know applets r out of date
    USE FRAMES INSTED OF APPLETS
    everything u do in applets ..u can do it in frames
    try this out ..
    its much =better
    mickey, Feb 19, 2007

  3. On Feb 20, 8:11 am, "Kevin CH" <>
    wrote:
    > We have certain Applets written on JDK1.2.2, and a recent upgrade of
    > JRE on the workstation to 1.6 made the Applets unable to load

    > One solution I've come up so far is installing JDK1.2 on the
    > workstations and configure Java Plugin to force JRE1.6 to execute the
    > applet using JRE1.2

    > Anyone knows any other ways to reconcile this problem without
    > modification to the code?

    Java web start. It can launch applets(1),
    and handle the versioning(2) for you.

    1) <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>
    2) <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.5-all.jnlp>

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 19, 2007
  4. Kevin CH

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Java web start. It can launch applets(1),
    > and handle the versioning(2) for you.

    How common is it for people in locked-down environments to be blocked from
    using Java Web Start?
    Mickey Segal, Feb 20, 2007