Applets and Multiple JRE Versions

Discussion in 'Java' started by joe.joesmith4j@gmail.com, Nov 1, 2006.

    We are trying to figure out the best way to support a Windows XP SP2
    configuration where the users regularly access (4 to 5) java applets
    that all require different versions of the jre. We have between 15 and
    20 users.

    Each applet is written by a separate third party and we have no control
    or influence on their development activities, the version of the jre
    they use, etc. The applets are updated several times througout the
    year and frequently require newer versions of the jre. Many times, a
    user will download a new version of the jre without informing IT. Then
    sometime in the future, the user will experience some sort of problem.

    The users are non-technical and we are trying to architect a user
    friendly solution. The use of the applets is mission critical to this
    group of users.

    OS = Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    Browser = IE Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

    An example of a problem/resolution that we are having is as follows:

    1. User visits web site A. Applet downloads and is successful.
    2. User finishes task at web site A, but leaves browser open.
    3. User visits web site B. Applet downloads, but fails to load.
    4. User closes browser.
    5. User visits web site B. Applet downloads and is successful.

    The above is just one simple example. Opening/closing the browser is
    one potential solution that we have considered. However, most of these
    applets require some sort of advanced authentication such as smart
    cards, secure id cards, etc., and the users may flip back/forth between
    the applets multiple times.

    Other solutions that we are considering:

    - separate computers for each applet
    - virtualization
    - citrix (or equivalent)

    Each of the above has pros/cons especially when factoring in the
    various authentication devices.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    TIA...Joe

    , Nov 1, 2006

  2. Wesley Hall Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are trying to figure out the best way to support a Windows XP SP2
    > configuration where the users regularly access (4 to 5) java applets
    > that all require different versions of the jre. We have between 15 and
    > 20 users.
    >
    > Each applet is written by a separate third party and we have no control
    > or influence on their development activities, the version of the jre
    > they use, etc. The applets are updated several times througout the
    > year and frequently require newer versions of the jre. Many times, a
    > user will download a new version of the jre without informing IT. Then
    > sometime in the future, the user will experience some sort of problem.
    >
    > The users are non-technical and we are trying to architect a user
    > friendly solution. The use of the applets is mission critical to this
    > group of users.
    >
    > OS = Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    > Browser = IE Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
    >
    > An example of a problem/resolution that we are having is as follows:
    >
    > 1. User visits web site A. Applet downloads and is successful.
    > 2. User finishes task at web site A, but leaves browser open.
    > 3. User visits web site B. Applet downloads, but fails to load.
    > 4. User closes browser.
    > 5. User visits web site B. Applet downloads and is successful.
    >
    > The above is just one simple example. Opening/closing the browser is
    > one potential solution that we have considered. However, most of these
    > applets require some sort of advanced authentication such as smart
    > cards, secure id cards, etc., and the users may flip back/forth between
    > the applets multiple times.
    >
    > Other solutions that we are considering:
    >
    > - separate computers for each applet
    > - virtualization
    > - citrix (or equivalent)
    >
    > Each of the above has pros/cons especially when factoring in the
    > various authentication devices.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA...Joe

    Joe,

    What a nightmare!!

    Firstly, if maintaining strict control over the available JREs is
    required for your systems to work I would recommend you have a word with
    your admins to prevent your users from having the kind of access where
    they can mess up the platform infrastructure.

    My general advice would be to seriously consider having the applets
    re-engineered into a single, cohesive application that can be controlled
    and deployed onto a single JRE version, but I understand this may not be
    practical in legacy environments.

    Failing this, you should probably drop the browser as your deployment
    platform and use the appletviewer tool that comes bundled with the JDK.
    It should be possible to create launchers for your applets that use the
    applet viewer of the appropriate Java version's applet viewer
    application. Drop these launchers on your user's desktops and you are away.

    See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/tooldocs/win32/appletviewer.html
    for more info.

    Good luck

    Wesley Hall

    Wesley Hall, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > - separate computers for each applet
    > - virtualization
    > - citrix (or equivalent)

    There might be some mileage in setting up shortcuts which use the Windows "run
    as" mechanism to force each browser instance to be a separate process (I don't
    know whether you would need a different user for each shortcut, or whether you
    could get away with re-using the same user for all of them).

    Note that such shortcuts would not be the special Windows "url" shortcuts, but
    normal launch-a-named-program-with-arguments shortcuts.

    I haven't tried it, but I think that it /should/ work. In principle...
    Whether the users would be able to cope is a different question.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Nov 2, 2006