    I have been looking around a lot and cant seem to find out how to do this.

    Thanks,

    Danny

    Danny Antonetti, Aug 13, 2003

  2. "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Danny Antonetti wrote:
    > > I have an applet written using Sun Java 1.4.2 and it works if a person
    > > has a version of sun java installed.

    > If you use the HTMLConverter application that's distributed by Sun, the
    > user will be prompted to download the Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment if
    > they don't already have it.

    That has pitfalls too. The more cross-platform
    forms of it use kludgy 'browser-sniffing' JavaScript
    (one of the first rules of good JS is to avoid
    browser-sniffing) to write the correct <EMBED
    or <OBJECT tag.

    I would recommend that as a _final resort_, but you
    could use my %100 java solution and may never
    have to get to relying on JS (which can be disabled).
    See.. http://physci.org/test/JRE/

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.lensescapes.com/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Danny Antonetti

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:04:53 -0700, Danny Antonetti
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I have been looking and cant seem to find how to get my applet to work
    >with IE.

    to do that you must restrict yourself to version 1.1.4 Java. If you
    use any more recent classes or compile with a JDK 1.4 compiler, the
    old IE JVM will throw up its hands.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ie.html

    This is the third time today I have answered this question.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Danny Antonetti

    Mark Preston Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have an applet written using Sun Java 1.4.2 and it works if a person
    >has a version of sun java installed.
    >
    >My problem is that if a browser without Sun Java tries to use my
    >software the applet is not loaded (there is just a grey screen).
    >
    >I have been looking and cant seem to find how to get my applet to work
    >with IE. I was not sure if there was some IE setting, or if I need to
    >compile the applet in some different way.

    Let's get a couple of those misconceptions out of the way first, shall
    we. Then we can look at the actual problem.

    1. Your applet _does_ "work with IE", because IE allows itself to use
    programmes _outside_ IE to manage some types of work. So it is not IE
    that is the problem, it is the programmes that IE is working with.

    2. The settings for IE may indeed be associated with the outside
    programmes, but since it is those outsiders that are the problem, you
    should look to them _before_ you look to fiddling with IE itself.

    3. Compiling the applet will in no way change what the outsider
    programmes do - it will change your applet. If your applet works, then
    your best bet is to deal with getting the outsider programmes to work
    properly since then you know that all the applets you compile - and
    however you compile them - will work.

    >In case it matters I need the applet to work with Win 2k, and would like
    >it to work with any other browsers.

    Neither Win2K nor - to the best of my knowledge - any of the major
    browsers will work with applets. Applets REQUIRE an outsider programme
    to make them work - the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) that you got from
    Sun and tested your applets on.

    It is the JVM, and not any specific hardware OR software that "works
    with applets". That is, remember, the core objective of the entire
    Java project right from the very start - to use a VIRTUAL machine that
    will allow Java complete implementation independence.

    >I have been looking around a lot and cant seem to find out how to do this.

    Now - the problem itself.

    As I have described above, the actual problem is the JVM. Forget any
    worries about Win2K, other browsers or IE - the problem is only,
    entirely and completely with the JVM.

    Microsoft - for reasons best known to themselves - decided to corrupt
    Java, basically to try and "kidnap" the development, and to make it
    part of the Redmond Monster. They were taken to court over it and
    lost. One of the court rulings was that they had to stop doing the bad
    things they had been doing.

    As a result, Microsoft could not develop their version of the JVM
    beyond the 1.1.4 version of Java. Their choice was (and is) quite
    simple and they could either:-

    1. Ignore the court and carry on - dangerous and costly.
    2. Keep an outdated and incompatible version of Java.
    3. Apologise and replace the Microsoft version of Java with a real one
    4. Stop trying to get a Microsoft version and use Sun or IBM Java.

    Obviously, about the worst option they could choose is the second one,
    since it will cause massive problems for users. It also happens to be
    the one they DID choose - and that is your problem.

    As long as users have the old, corrupted, incompatible version of
    Microsoft's awful JVM then there will be problems. Your users - each
    and every one of them - will need to replace that old and silly JVM
    with a proper one. It is a moderate download, but of no other trouble
    at all. Once it is done, your applet will work.

    Mark Preston, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Danny Antonetti

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Chris Smith <> wrote:

    : If you're actually asking for your 1.4.2 applet to run using the built-
    : in VM in IE, the only possible answer is "not bloody likely". IE can
    : run some applets written to the 1.1 Java API, but nothing more recent.
    : If you were to write to the 1.1 API, you'd also need to compile with the
    : "-target 1.1" switch to generate compatible class files, and avoid APIs
    : that Microsoft didn't care to implement.

    The MS JVM ignores the class file version number - and there are no
    actual changes to the bytecode format that might cause problems.

    Netscape 4.x checks it, though - and totally rejects any code it doesn't
    recognise. As a result large numbers of applets no longer work on it.
    --

    Tim Tyler, Aug 15, 2003