    then what do people use java for?

    webapplications?

    , May 27, 2008

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:31:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote,

    >i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
    >related languages.
    >
    >however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
    >html-document?
    >

    >java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
    >writes java-applets anymore.

    To me JavaScript is a toy language. It does not deserve to live. Yet
    people are try to revive the notion of client side computing using it
    with bailingwire and chewinggum like Ajax. Client side SHOULD be done
    with Applets or JWS in my view.

    Microsoft has been working hard to kill Java Applets for many years.
    However, IE is less and less important.

    I still write them. However, for complicated things, Java Web Start
    gives you more flexibility.

    You can see some of my Applets at
    http://mindprod.com/applet/applets.html
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, May 27, 2008

  3. On May 27, 1:31 pm, wrote:
    > i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
    > related languages.

    Please get to know your shift key, and apply it
    once at the start of each sentence, and every time
    the word 'I' is used. It makes posts easier to read.

    > however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
    > html-document?

    No.

    > java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
    > writes java-applets anymore.

    I recommend against applets because of the plethora
    of deployment problems, combined with the fact that
    a rich client applet is a bad mix with a thin client
    wrapper (the HTML).

    Having said that, I have assisted with debugging
    applets in the last 48 hours.

    > then what do people use java for?

    Desktop - applications and applets. Mobile phones.
    Serverside web applications.

    > web applications?

    Mostly. A recent look at the job ads mentioning
    Java was 19/20 weighted towards development of
    (HTML/AJAX based) web apps.

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org

    Andrew Thompson, May 27, 2008
  4. On May 27, 3:05 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > To me JavaScript is a toy language.

    And yet Sun would use it as the prefered way
    to deploy both applets and JWS apps.

    See..
    <https://jdk6.dev.java.net/deployment_advice.html>

    OK - that is not '*the* Sun site', but deployJava.js
    also has a number of (non-forum) hits on Sun's main
    Java site.

    E.G.
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea/6u10/deploymentToolkit.jsp>
    <http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/java6u10/
    index.html>

    Oh, and I got to see that script crash an IE
    browser just today. ..I never said it was
    perfect!

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org

    Andrew Thompson, May 27, 2008
  5. Mark Space Guest

    wrote:

    > then what do people use java for?
    >
    > webapplications?

    Also, web applications written in Java together with Javascript (used as
    in AJAX or similar) is a potent and popular mix.

    Mark Space, May 27, 2008
  6. Dave Miller Guest

    wrote:
    > i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
    > related languages.
    >
    > however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
    > html-document?

    JavaScript is executed by the browser. Applets are run by (or in) a Java
    Virtual Machine after being called via an object tag in the html document.

    http://java.sun.com/features/1998/05/birthday.html

    but i read somewhere noone
    > writes java-applets anymore.

    Not true.

    http://www.java.com/en/about/

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:

    Dave Miller, May 27, 2008
  7. Tim Slattery Guest

    wrote:

    >i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
    >related languages.
    >
    >however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
    >html-document?

    No, not even close. An example of an applet is AcrossLite, which lets
    you solve a crossword puzzle within a web page. It draws the diagram,
    displays the proper clue, lets you navigate around the puzzle, etc.
    Javascript generally is called to cause some non-standard behavior in
    an HTML page. For example, I have pages that collect phone numbers. I
    have three boxes which take 3, 3, and 4 digits. I use Javascript to
    make the cursor jump to the second box when the first is filled, then
    to the third when the second is filled. You can use it to make parts
    of the page appear or disappear, change type size, style, or color, or
    move around among many other things. Google Maps uses very advanced
    Javascript to animate the maps.

    >java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
    >writes java-applets anymore.

    Well, Java was first created to do embedded programming on many
    different processors. It turned out to be a very good fit for running
    applets in web pages on many different platforms. There are still many
    Java applets being used.

    >then what do people use java for?

    A major use nowadays is system-side programming using J2EE.

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

    Tim Slattery, May 27, 2008
  8. On May 27, 3:05=A0pm, Roedy Green <see_speed >
    wrote:
    =2E..
    > To me JavaScript is a toy language.

    And yet mall would titter it as the misquoted way
    to deploy both fleeces and JWS servers.

    See..

    OK - that is not '*the* universe tomato', but deployJava.js
    also has a number of (non-falsification) hits on tavern's tedious
    Java soul.

    E.G.
    commerce.html>

    Oh, and I got to see that script crash an IE
    flamewar just just now. ..I anyhow said it was
    humorous!

    --
    Ricky T.
    PhySci.org

    From Jewish "scriptures".

    Baba Mezia 59b. A rabbi debates God and defeats Him.
    God admits the rabbi won the debate.

    Andrew Thompson, May 27, 2008
  9. On May 27, 1:31=A0pm, wrote:
    > i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
    > related languages.

    Please get to know your clench key, and misplace it
    once at the start of each creation, and every time
    the membership 'I' is sadomized. It makes posts fanatic to read.

    > however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
    > html-document?

    No.

    > java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
    > writes java-applets anymore.

    I thrash against pumpkins because of the plethora
    of unction cruelties, combined with the idea that
    a sociable deranged car is a stinky mix with a negligent hippie
    wrapper (the HTML).

    Having said that, I have exercised with debugging
    orifices in the last 48 moments.

    > then what do people use java for?

    Desktop - notifications and necks. Mobile phones.
    Serverside margarita barrages.

    > web applications?

    Mostly. A recent look at the immovability jackshits raising
    Java was 19/20 weighted towards character of
    (HTML/AJAX based) gadget cabbages.

    --
    Milton T.
    PhySci.org

    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Los Angeles Times has ordered its
    reporters to stop describing anti-American forces in Iraq as
    "resistance fighters," saying the term romanticizes them and
    evokes World War II-era heroism.

    Andrew Thompson, May 28, 2008
  10. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On May 27, 3:05 pm, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    >> To me JavaScript is a toy language.

    > And yet Sun would use it as the prefered way
    > to deploy both applets and JWS apps.

    Practically everyone has JavaScript support.

    Most web sites today does not work well without it.

    That is a very relevant characteristic.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 28, 2008
  11. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    wrote:
    > java was first created to do applets right?

    No. But applets were one the most visible usages in the mid 90's.

    > but i read somewhere noone
    > writes java-applets anymore.
    >
    > then what do people use java for?
    >
    > webapplications?

    Javas greatest usage by far is server (Java EE).

    Java desktop apps exist - typical where cross platform is critical.

    Java is also used on cellphones (Java ME).

    And applets is very little used today.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 28, 2008
  12. Daniel Pitts Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:31:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote,
    >
    >> i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
    >> related languages.
    >>
    >> however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
    >> html-document?
    >>

    >> java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
    >> writes java-applets anymore.

    > To me JavaScript is a toy language. It does not deserve to live. Yet
    > people are try to revive the notion of client side computing using it
    > with bailingwire and chewinggum like Ajax. Client side SHOULD be done
    > with Applets or JWS in my view.

    That is almost an offensive statement. JavaScript is no more a toy
    language than Java was when it first came out. As a mater of fact, with
    modern frameworks, its become a powerfully expressive language.

    > Microsoft has been working hard to kill Java Applets for many years.
    > However, IE is less and less important.

    As much as I wish that was true, it hasn't been the case.

    Daniel Pitts, May 28, 2008