Applets, Security and JVM Support

SPG

Hi,

We currently have a signed applet, which is split into two different
branches.
The first supports MS JVM, and is compiled to a CAB file, the other supoprts
SUN (v 1.4.1 something) and compiled to a JAR.

The main problems we have had (and why we split development) is the way the
permissions work when checking for permission to make a socket connection.

The MS version uses the old chestnut:

PolicyEngine.assertPermission(PermissionID.NETIO);

To see if we have permissions to make a socket connection.

Now, when I try and run the SUN version in anything over 1.4.2 I get
permission problems, although the earlier SUN JVMs work. Remember that the
JAR file is actually signed.

What I need to do is a consolidation of versions so that we have one JAR for
all versions (obviously coded for the lowest JVM supported, but working for
all). We do not use any third party solutions so it should be just our code
that changes.

Can anyone shed any light on the permissioning for sockets and signed
applets for later versions of JVMs?

Steve

Mickey Segal

SPG said:
What I need to do is a consolidation of versions so that we have one JAR for
all versions (obviously coded for the lowest JVM supported, but working for
all). We do not use any third party solutions so it should be just our code
that changes.

Even if you keep your code at Java 1.1 and use one version of your source
code you will need at least two different archive files for a signed applet,
CAB for MS JVM and JAR for Sun or Macintosh OS X. In addition, if you want
to support Macintosh OS 9 you will need another JAR file, signed with Sun's
old signing method.