Applets, Security and JVM Support

Discussion in 'Java' started by SPG, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. SPG

    SPG Guest

    Hi,

    We currently have a signed applet, which is split into two different
    branches.
    The first supports MS JVM, and is compiled to a CAB file, the other supoprts
    SUN (v 1.4.1 something) and compiled to a JAR.

    The main problems we have had (and why we split development) is the way the
    permissions work when checking for permission to make a socket connection.

    The MS version uses the old chestnut:

    PolicyEngine.assertPermission(PermissionID.NETIO);

    To see if we have permissions to make a socket connection.

    Now, when I try and run the SUN version in anything over 1.4.2 I get
    permission problems, although the earlier SUN JVMs work. Remember that the
    JAR file is actually signed.

    What I need to do is a consolidation of versions so that we have one JAR for
    all versions (obviously coded for the lowest JVM supported, but working for
    all). We do not use any third party solutions so it should be just our code
    that changes.

    Can anyone shed any light on the permissioning for sockets and signed
    applets for later versions of JVMs?

    Steve

    SPG, Aug 25, 2004

  2. SPG

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "SPG" <> wrote in message
    > What I need to do is a consolidation of versions so that we have one JAR

    for
    > all versions (obviously coded for the lowest JVM supported, but working

    for
    > all). We do not use any third party solutions so it should be just our

    code
    > that changes.

    Even if you keep your code at Java 1.1 and use one version of your source
    code you will need at least two different archive files for a signed applet,
    CAB for MS JVM and JAR for Sun or Macintosh OS X. In addition, if you want
    to support Macintosh OS 9 you will need another JAR file, signed with Sun's
    old signing method.

    Mickey Segal, Aug 25, 2004