    if it was in the same frame as the first?

    thanx
    Russ Kinter
    Russ, Apr 27, 2005

  2. On 4/27/2005 4:10 AM, cyber knight Russ gave sign:
    > Hi everyone,
    > If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
    > will running a second applet in another frame
    > improve this second applet's performance?
    > Worded another way: Will the second applet
    > get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
    > if it was in the same frame as the first?

    Hello,

    No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
    performance will be degraded.
    On a multi-cpu machines use threads
    within one applet - control is easier.

    If both applets and computation will be same
    then each instance will use the same
    amount of cpu cycles (cycles - absolute process time),
    but running time may differ (performance).

    You should read a little about task switching,
    cycles, processes, time quantums, priorities,
    and multitasking and cpus in general.

    Best Regards,
    Piotr Gaertig
    Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/, May 2, 2005

  3. Russ

    Betty Guest

    "Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/" <> wrote in message
    > On 4/27/2005 4:10 AM, cyber knight Russ gave sign:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > > If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
    > > will running a second applet in another frame
    > > improve this second applet's performance?
    > > Worded another way: Will the second applet
    > > get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
    > > if it was in the same frame as the first?

    > Hello,
    >
    > No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
    > performance will be degraded.
    > On a multi-cpu machines use threads
    > within one applet - control is easier.

    Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
    different from hyperthreading?
    <snip>
    Betty, May 2, 2005
  4. Russ

    Betty Guest

    "Betty" <> wrote in message

    > "Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/" <> wrote in message
    > > On 4/27/2005 4:10 AM, cyber knight Russ gave sign:
    > > > Hi everyone,
    > > > If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
    > > > will running a second applet in another frame
    > > > improve this second applet's performance?
    > > > Worded another way: Will the second applet
    > > > get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
    > > > if it was in the same frame as the first?

    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
    > > performance will be degraded.
    > > On a multi-cpu machines use threads
    > > within one applet - control is easier.

    > Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
    > different from hyperthreading?

    I should mention that the reason I want to learn
    about this is that I'm thinking of getting a faster
    machine. In this regard, does 'shared' memory for
    video slow it down much if I am not doing games?
    Betty, May 2, 2005
  5. On 5/2/2005 11:57 PM, cyber knight Betty gave sign
    >> Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
    >> different from hyperthreading?

    > I should mention that the reason I want to learn
    > about this is that I'm thinking of getting a faster
    > machine. In this regard, does 'shared' memory for
    > video slow it down much if I am not doing games?

    I know it's realy OT but i answer:

    About HT:
    (In my opinion its next level of an optimisation -
    as pipelining in the old Pentium days -
    these two "logical" processors are marketing issues).

    I will buy AMD64 on my next PC/notebook shopping :)

    64-bit JVMs are ready :)

    About shared video RAM:
    Nothing special, just eats 8MB of RAM.
    You should better buy 1GB of RAM
    if you are going to use
    Java + Eclipse + some J2EE servers and DBMS
    Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/, May 3, 2005