Applets, Seperate Frames, and CPU cycles/Efficiency

Russ

Hi everyone,
If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
will running a second applet in another frame
improve this second applet's performance?
Worded another way: Will the second applet
get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
if it was in the same frame as the first?

thanx
Russ Kinter

Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/

Hi everyone,
If I have one Applet that is cpu intensive,
will running a second applet in another frame
improve this second applet's performance?
Worded another way: Will the second applet
get more cpu cycles in a different frame then
if it was in the same frame as the first?

Hello,

No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
performance will be degraded.
On a multi-cpu machines use threads
within one applet - control is easier.

If both applets and computation will be same
then each instance will use the same
amount of cpu cycles (cycles - absolute process time),
but running time may differ (performance).

You should read a little about task switching,
cycles, processes, time quantums, priorities,
and multitasking and cpus in general.

Best Regards,
Piotr Gaertig

Betty

Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/ said:
Hello,

No, if a machine is a single-cpu then
performance will be degraded.
On a multi-cpu machines use threads
within one applet - control is easier.

Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
different from hyperthreading?
<snip>

Betty

Betty said:
Pls excuse my ignorance, is a multi-cpu machine
different from hyperthreading?
I should mention that the reason I want to learn
about this is that I'm thinking of getting a faster
machine. In this regard, does 'shared' memory for
video slow it down much if I am not doing games?

Piotr Gaertig /Gertas/

On 5/2/2005 11:57 PM, cyber knight Betty gave sign
I should mention that the reason I want to learn
about this is that I'm thinking of getting a faster
machine. In this regard, does 'shared' memory for
video slow it down much if I am not doing games?

I know it's realy OT but i answer:

About HT:
(In my opinion its next level of an optimisation -
as pipelining in the old Pentium days -
these two "logical" processors are marketing issues).

I will buy AMD64 on my next PC/notebook shopping :)

64-bit JVMs are ready :)

About shared video RAM:
Nothing special, just eats 8MB of RAM.
You should better buy 1GB of RAM
if you are going to use
Java + Eclipse + some J2EE servers and DBMS