applets

superbobm

I am writing a signed applet that needs to write to file and use socket
connections. I have found that even with a signed applet it seems that
the only way to do this is to edit the .java.policy file and add the
lines

permission java.io.FilePermission "*", "write";
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*", "resolve";
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*", "connect";

But I don't want the user to have to do this. I want it done
automatically. But since I dont have write access to files I can't open
the policy file myself to do this, so how can I get these permissions?

I realise there are security implications in doing this, but since it
is a signed applet the user has to agree to the security certificate.

Thanks

Andrew T.

I am writing a signed applet that needs to write to file and use socket
connections. I have found that even with a signed applet it seems that
the only way to do this is to edit the .java.policy file and add the
lines

Whoa up. I think you are making a mistake right there.

To get around browser class caching problems*, try launching
the applet using JWS. ..it is just an experiment, but you are
very close to it, given the classes are jar'd and signed.

* I guess you're already using a number of browsers to test.

Andrew T.