Application Deployment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eric A. Johnson, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. I have figured out how to get my application wrapped in a deployable
    shell -- to be able to install it on other users' machines via MSI and so
    on. However, I am having several problems:
    (1) I have tried to get shortcuts to appear on the user's desktop and in the
    Start Menu, and they appear there, but they actually only go to the user's
    desktop! I need a shortcut to the program.
    (2) The directory that it gets installed into defaults to C:\Program
    Files\Default Company Name... and that's a quote. I want to change it from
    "Default Company Name" to my actual company name. How can I do this?
    (3) When I release a new build, upon attempted installation, an error pops
    up stating that the previous program must be uninstalled via Add/Remove
    Programs before the new version can be installed. How can I change this so
    that it can overwrite it instead?
    (4) I have figured out howto create an icon and make it appear in the upper
    left hand corner of the program window and on the bottom of the screen,
    where it minimizes it to. Is there a way to make this same icon appear
    where the actual program itself it? If not, how can I make it use a
    different icon there?

    Any and all help with these would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric A. Johnson, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Hello Eric,

    Have you tried any install programs? Like VS setup project?

    EJ> I have figured out how to get my application wrapped in a deployable
    EJ> shell -- to be able to install it on other users' machines via MSI
    EJ> and so
    EJ> on. However, I am having several problems:
    EJ> (1) I have tried to get shortcuts to appear on the user's desktop
    EJ> and in the
    EJ> Start Menu, and they appear there, but they actually only go to the
    EJ> user's
    EJ> desktop! I need a shortcut to the program.
    EJ> (2) The directory that it gets installed into defaults to C:\Program
    EJ> Files\Default Company Name... and that's a quote. I want to change
    EJ> it from
    EJ> "Default Company Name" to my actual company name. How can I do
    EJ> this?
    EJ> (3) When I release a new build, upon attempted installation, an
    EJ> error pops
    EJ> up stating that the previous program must be uninstalled via
    EJ> Add/Remove
    EJ> Programs before the new version can be installed. How can I change
    EJ> this so
    EJ> that it can overwrite it instead?
    EJ> (4) I have figured out howto create an icon and make it appear in
    EJ> the upper
    EJ> left hand corner of the program window and on the bottom of the
    EJ> screen,
    EJ> where it minimizes it to. Is there a way to make this same icon
    EJ> appear
    EJ> where the actual program itself it? If not, how can I make it use a
    EJ> different icon there?
    EJ> Any and all help with these would be greatly appreciated.
    EJ>
    EJ> Thanks,
    EJ> Eric
    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

    "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

    Michael Nemtsev, Feb 8, 2006

  3. I finally got it to work properly... just took a lot of experimentation!
    Thank you.

    -- Eric

    Eric A. Johnson, Feb 12, 2006