    front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
    i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
    my goal or i should use visual basic ?

    ashu, Sep 13, 2007

  2. ashu

    jacob navia Guest

    ashu wrote:
    > i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
    > will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
    > for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
    > front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
    > i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
    > my goal or i should use visual basic ?

    Within the windows system you can use the ODBC drivers to connect to
    an arbitrary database.

    You should look for the ODBC documentation that has a very detailed
    C interface that you can use in your program.

    ODBC is an abstraction of many databases that present a common view to
    the front end. It is accessible through C.

    Visual Basic does the same thing but you get more automatic
    support than in C, where you have more code to write.

    jacob

    jacob navia, Sep 13, 2007

  3. ashu

    Flash Gordon Guest

    jacob navia wrote, On 13/09/07 17:39:
    > ashu wrote:
    >> i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
    >> will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
    >> for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
    >> front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
    >> i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
    >> my goal or i should use visual basic ?

    > Within the windows system you can use the ODBC drivers to connect to
    > an arbitrary database.

    Incorrect. You can ONLY use it to connect to databases for which you
    have ODBC drivers. There are still databases used by big companies for a
    *lot* of data where they have no ODBC driver.

    > You should look for the ODBC documentation that has a very detailed
    > C interface that you can use in your program.

    Yes, using ODBC is probably the OPs best option.

    > ODBC is an abstraction of many databases that present a common view to
    > the front end.

    Apart from the bits which are different depending on the the database.
    Yes, there ARE things which are different.

    > It is accessible through C.

    As an extension.

    > Visual Basic does the same thing but you get more automatic
    > support than in C, where you have more code to write.

    Or use a higher level abstraction.

    The OP would be better off asking further questions on this subject in a
    Windows group of which there are several.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Sep 13, 2007
  4. ashu

    Tor Rustad Guest

    Re: application developement [OT]

    ashu wrote:
    > i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
    > will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
    > for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
    > front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
    > i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
    > my goal or i should use visual basic ?

    IPC is not covered in the C standard, but an usual trick is to use
    TCP/IP via 'localhost'.

    AFAIK, the super-computing community is connecting nodes via OpenMP
    and/or MPI, so there should be some good C API's here.

    For very fast IPC on a single machine, "pipes" could be of interest too.

    --
    Tor <torust [at] online [dot] no>

    Tor Rustad, Sep 13, 2007
  5. ashu

    user923005 Guest

    On Sep 13, 2:11 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    > jacob navia wrote, On 13/09/07 17:39:
    >
    > > ashu wrote:
    > >> i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
    > >> will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
    > >> for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
    > >> front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
    > >> i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
    > >> my goal or i should use visual basic ?

    > > Within the windows system you can use the ODBC drivers to connect to
    > > an arbitrary database.

    > Incorrect. You can ONLY use it to connect to databases for which you
    > have ODBC drivers. There are still databases used by big companies for a
    > *lot* of data where they have no ODBC driver.

    From:
    http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.HTM

    We have this partial list of supported ODBC database platforms:
    4D Server
    A-Series
    A_Series: DMS II
    Absolute Database
    Access
    AccuCOBOL files
    Accuracer
    Adabas
    Adabas C
    Adabas D
    Adaptive Server Anywhere
    Adaptive Server Enterprise
    Adaptive Server IQ
    ADDS
    Advanced Pick
    Advanced Plus
    Advantage Database Server
    Allbase/SQL
    ANTs Database Server
    Approach
    AS/400
    AutoCAD SQL Extension (ASE)
    BASIS
    BASISplus
    BB UBB/UBL/B32
    BI Server
    Biblioscape Database
    Birdstep Raima Database Manager
    Birdstep RDM Server
    BIS-ICE (MAPPER)
    BizTalk
    BS2000 DBMS
    Btrieve
    Btrieve. C-ISAM
    Btrieve. DB2
    Business BASIC
    Business BASIC ISAM
    C-ISAM
    c-tree Plus
    c-tree Server
    CA-DATACOM
    CA-Datacom/DB
    CA-IDMS/DB
    CA-Realia
    Caché
    Centura SQLBase
    CICS
    CICS-TS
    CISAM
    Clarion TopSpeed databases
    Clipper
    COBOL files
    Connection Server
    CorVision
    CTOS ISAM
    Cyberprise Server
    D-ISAM
    D3
    D3 ODBC Server
    DABroker
    DARGAL server
    Data from SNMP devices
    Datacom
    DataEase
    Datafit DP4
    Dataflex
    DB/TextWorks databases
    db_Vista
    DB2 for MVS/ESA
    DB2 for OS/390
    DB2 for VSE and VM
    DB2 MVS
    DB2 OS/390
    DB2 UDB
    DB2 UDB for iSeries
    DB2 VSE&VM
    DB2/2
    DB2/400
    DB2/6000
    dBASE
    DBMaker
    DBMS (CODASYL)
    DFP/VSAM
    DISAM
    DISAM96
    DL/I
    DMS-1100
    DMS II
    Domino
    DRDA
    DSM
    e_Db
    Easytable
    Empress
    Enscribe
    ESRI ARC/INFO Coverages
    Essentia SQL-Server
    Excel
    EXTFH
    FileMaker
    Firebird
    FirstSQL
    Flat files
    FOCUS
    FoxPro
    FrontBase
    Fujitsu COBOL
    Fulcrum SearchServer
    FUNDS System databases
    GA-Power 95
    GA-R91
    General Automation
    GENESIS
    GT.M
    GURU
    HanDBase for Palm and Pocket PC
    HMP NX
    HP Eloquence databases
    Hummingbird Met@Data Server
    IBM AS/400
    IBM DB2
    IBM Informix OnLine Dynamic Server
    ICOBOL Server
    IDMS
    IDS II
    IMAGE
    Image/SQL
    IMS
    IMS/DB
    IMS/DC
    INFO DBMS & 4G/L
    Infoman
    Informix
    Infrover
    Ingres
    Ingres II
    InterBase
    ISAM
    ISM
    Jasmine
    jBase
    JD Edwards World and OneWorld data
    JDBC Sources
    Jukebox
    K-ISAM
    KB_SQL
    KE Texpress ODBMS
    KEYED1011
    KnowledgeMan
    KSAM
    LDAP servers
    LEASY
    LINC
    Livelink Collections Server
    Lotus
    Matisse
    mbp
    MEGAdata
    Mentor
    Mentor/Pro
    Micro Focus COBOL files
    Microsoft Access
    Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft SQL Server
    Model 204
    MOE
    Multiple data sources through ODBC drivers
    MUMPS
    mvBase
    mvEnterprise
    MySQL
    Natural
    NexusDB
    NonStop SQL
    NonStop SQL/MP
    Oberon/F Sql Subsystem (Black Box Component Builder)
    Object/1
    Objectivity/DB
    ObjectStore
    Ocelot SQL-92
    ODBC data sources
    OLE DB data sources
    Open/A
    OpenBase SQL
    OpenIngres
    OpenInsight
    OpenLink Virtuoso
    Oracle
    Oracle CODASYL DBMS
    OS/390 VSAM
    Oterro Engine
    Paradox
    PASSdata
    Pathway
    PCIOS
    PDS
    Pervasive SQL
    PFXplus
    PI-Open
    Pick
    Pick64+
    Poet ODBMS
    Polyhedra RDBMS
    PostgreSQL
    PowerFlex
    Powerhouse
    PRO-ISAM
    Progress
    PROMIS
    QSAM
    Quadbase-SQL
    Quantum data
    QueryObject
    Quickbooks
    R:BASE
    R83
    Raima Data Server
    Rdb
    RDBMS Linter SQL
    RDM Embedded
    RDMS
    RDMS-1100
    REALITY
    Reality/X
    Recital
    Red Brick
    Remedy databases
    RFM II
    RM/COBOL files
    RMS
    RTXHDB
    Rumba data sources
    SAP
    SAS
    SE
    Sequential Files
    Sequoia
    Sequoia database cluster
    Sequoia/Pro
    SESAM/SQL
    Sharebase
    SOLID Server
    SQL Server
    SQL/400
    SQL/DS
    SQLBase
    SQLDB
    STX
    Superbase
    Supra
    Supra Server
    Sybase
    Sybase Adaptive Server
    Synergy databases
    System 1032
    System 2000
    Tandem Enscribe
    Tandem NonStop SQL
    Teradata
    Text files
    ThinkSQL DBMS
    Thoroughbred files
    TimesTen Server
    Titanium
    TM1 databases
    TOTAL
    TurboIMAGE
    U/FOS
    UDS
    UDS/SQL
    UFAS
    Ultimate
    UltPlus
    Unidata
    UniSQL
    Unisys A series and NX systems: DMS II and keyed files. Unisys 2200
    and IX: DMS 1100 and DMS2200
    Unisys DMS 1100 (a.k.a. Enterprise Network Database Server for
    ClearPath OS 2200)
    Unisys RDMS 1100 (a.k.a. Enterprise Relational Database Server for
    ClearPath OS 2200)
    Unisys TIP Transactions
    UniVerse
    Unix and Linux clients
    Unixware
    Velocis
    Versant
    Vision indexed file system
    Visual FoxPro
    VSAM
    VSAM-MVS
    VSAM-VSE
    White Cross RDBMS
    Xbase
    XML and any ODBC-compliant database
    XML data sources (virtual database interface)
    YARD-SQL
    Zim databases

    I guess that 99.99% of legacy data is covered (especially since VSAM,
    RMS etc. are included).

    > > You should look for the ODBC documentation that has a very detailed
    > > C interface that you can use in your program.

    > Yes, using ODBC is probably the OPs best option.

    There are always alternatives. For instance, for Oracle, this thing
    is pretty cool:
    http://otl.sourceforge.net/

    > > ODBC is an abstraction of many databases that present a common view to
    > > the front end.

    > Apart from the bits which are different depending on the the database.
    > Yes, there ARE things which are different.
    >
    > > It is accessible through C.

    > As an extension.
    >
    > > Visual Basic does the same thing but you get more automatic
    > > support than in C, where you have more code to write.

    > Or use a higher level abstraction.
    >
    > The OP would be better off asking further questions on this subject in a
    > Windows group of which there are several.

    If he is not going to use VB for the front end, then there is no need
    to limit the client to Windows.

    user923005, Sep 14, 2007
  6. ashu

    Richard Bos Guest

    user923005 <> wrote:

    > On Sep 13, 2:11 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    > > jacob navia wrote, On 13/09/07 17:39:
    > >
    > > > Within the windows system you can use the ODBC drivers to connect to
    > > > an arbitrary database.

    > > Incorrect. You can ONLY use it to connect to databases for which you
    > > have ODBC drivers. There are still databases used by big companies for a
    > > *lot* of data where they have no ODBC driver.

    > From:
    > http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.HTM
    >
    > We have this partial list of supported ODBC database platforms:

    That's a very impressive list, but it means nothing, because it does not
    come with the version numbers from which those database platforms are
    supported. For example, if Informix X is supported, but Informix X-1 is
    not, it's no use to someone whose page layout system is based around
    Informix X-1.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Sep 14, 2007
  7. ashu

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Richard Bos wrote, On 14/09/07 11:18:
    > user923005 <> wrote:

    >>> Incorrect. You can ONLY use it to connect to databases for which you
    >>> have ODBC drivers. There are still databases used by big companies for a
    >>> *lot* of data where they have no ODBC driver.

    >> From:
    >> http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.HTM
    >>
    >> We have this partial list of supported ODBC database platforms:

    > That's a very impressive list, but it means nothing, because it does not
    > come with the version numbers from which those database platforms are
    > supported. For example, if Informix X is supported, but Informix X-1 is
    > not, it's no use to someone whose page layout system is based around
    > Informix X-1.

    Also for some of them, e.g. DIsam when it has been used directly from C
    not through Cobol copybooks, you can't simply use the driver. You have
    to first analyse how the data is stored within the tables since as far
    as the database is concerned is just has a binary blob. If the provider
    of the application chooses not to provide you with the information you
    are in for a massive job and repeating it for the next release of the
    application.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Sep 14, 2007