application developement

ashu

i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
my goal or i should use visual basic ?

jacob navia

ashu said:
i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
my goal or i should use visual basic ?

Within the windows system you can use the ODBC drivers to connect to
an arbitrary database.

You should look for the ODBC documentation that has a very detailed
C interface that you can use in your program.

ODBC is an abstraction of many databases that present a common view to
the front end. It is accessible through C.

Visual Basic does the same thing but you get more automatic
support than in C, where you have more code to write.

jacob

Flash Gordon

jacob navia wrote, On 13/09/07 17:39:
Within the windows system you can use the ODBC drivers to connect to
an arbitrary database.

Incorrect. You can ONLY use it to connect to databases for which you
have ODBC drivers. There are still databases used by big companies for a
*lot* of data where they have no ODBC driver.
You should look for the ODBC documentation that has a very detailed
C interface that you can use in your program.

Yes, using ODBC is probably the OPs best option.
ODBC is an abstraction of many databases that present a common view to
the front end.

Apart from the bits which are different depending on the the database.
Yes, there ARE things which are different.
It is accessible through C.

As an extension.
Visual Basic does the same thing but you get more automatic
support than in C, where you have more code to write.

Or use a higher level abstraction.

The OP would be better off asking further questions on this subject in a
Windows group of which there are several.

Tor Rustad

ashu said:
i want to develop ab application using C in which the the front end
will be designed by C and in back end i can use ms access or oracle
for windows platform.my problem is that i don`t know how to connect my
front end with backend. i know how to connect in Visual basic but in C
i didn`t have a wildest idea.so kindly suggest me how i can achieve
my goal or i should use visual basic ?

IPC is not covered in the C standard, but an usual trick is to use
TCP/IP via 'localhost'.

AFAIK, the super-computing community is connecting nodes via OpenMP
and/or MPI, so there should be some good C API's here.

For very fast IPC on a single machine, "pipes" could be of interest too.

user923005

jacob navia wrote, On 13/09/07 17:39:

Incorrect. You can ONLY use it to connect to databases for which you
have ODBC drivers. There are still databases used by big companies for a
*lot* of data where they have no ODBC driver.

From:
http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.HTM

We have this partial list of supported ODBC database platforms:
4D Server
A-Series
A_Series: DMS II
Absolute Database
Access
AccuCOBOL files
Accuracer
Adabas
Adabas C
Adabas D
Adaptive Server Anywhere
Adaptive Server Enterprise
Adaptive Server IQ
ADDS
Advanced Pick
Advanced Plus
Advantage Database Server
Allbase/SQL
ANTs Database Server
Approach
AS/400
AutoCAD SQL Extension (ASE)
BASIS
BASISplus
BB UBB/UBL/B32
BI Server
Biblioscape Database
Birdstep Raima Database Manager
Birdstep RDM Server
BIS-ICE (MAPPER)
BizTalk
BS2000 DBMS
Btrieve
Btrieve. C-ISAM
Btrieve. DB2
Business BASIC
Business BASIC ISAM
C-ISAM
c-tree Plus
c-tree Server
CA-DATACOM
CA-Datacom/DB
CA-IDMS/DB
CA-Realia
Caché
Centura SQLBase
CICS
CICS-TS
CISAM
Clarion TopSpeed databases
Clipper
COBOL files
Connection Server
CorVision
CTOS ISAM
Cyberprise Server
D-ISAM
D3
D3 ODBC Server
DABroker
DARGAL server
Data from SNMP devices
Datacom
DataEase
Datafit DP4
Dataflex
DB/TextWorks databases
db_Vista
DB2 for MVS/ESA
DB2 for OS/390
DB2 for VSE and VM
DB2 MVS
DB2 OS/390
DB2 UDB
DB2 UDB for iSeries
DB2 VSE&VM
DB2/2
DB2/400
DB2/6000
dBASE
DBMaker
DBMS (CODASYL)
DFP/VSAM
DISAM
DISAM96
DL/I
DMS-1100
DMS II
Domino
DRDA
DSM
e_Db
Easytable
Empress
Enscribe
ESRI ARC/INFO Coverages
Essentia SQL-Server
Excel
EXTFH
FileMaker
Firebird
FirstSQL
Flat files
FOCUS
FoxPro
FrontBase
Fujitsu COBOL
Fulcrum SearchServer
FUNDS System databases
GA-Power 95
GA-R91
General Automation
GENESIS
GT.M
GURU
HanDBase for Palm and Pocket PC
HMP NX
HP Eloquence databases
Hummingbird Met@Data Server
IBM AS/400
IBM DB2
IBM Informix OnLine Dynamic Server
ICOBOL Server
IDMS
IDS II
IMAGE
Image/SQL
IMS
IMS/DB
IMS/DC
INFO DBMS & 4G/L
Infoman
Informix
Infrover
Ingres
Ingres II
InterBase
ISAM
ISM
Jasmine
jBase
JD Edwards World and OneWorld data
JDBC Sources
Jukebox
K-ISAM
KB_SQL
KE Texpress ODBMS
KEYED1011
KnowledgeMan
KSAM
LDAP servers
LEASY
LINC
Livelink Collections Server
Lotus
Matisse
mbp
MEGAdata
Mentor
Mentor/Pro
Micro Focus COBOL files
Microsoft Access
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft SQL Server
Model 204
MOE
Multiple data sources through ODBC drivers
MUMPS
mvBase
mvEnterprise
MySQL
Natural
NexusDB
NonStop SQL
NonStop SQL/MP
Oberon/F Sql Subsystem (Black Box Component Builder)
Object/1
Objectivity/DB
ObjectStore
Ocelot SQL-92
ODBC data sources
OLE DB data sources
Open/A
OpenBase SQL
OpenIngres
OpenInsight
OpenLink Virtuoso
Oracle
Oracle CODASYL DBMS
OS/390 VSAM
Oterro Engine
Paradox
PASSdata
Pathway
PCIOS
PDS
Pervasive SQL
PFXplus
PI-Open
Pick
Pick64+
Poet ODBMS
Polyhedra RDBMS
PostgreSQL
PowerFlex
Powerhouse
PRO-ISAM
Progress
PROMIS
QSAM
Quadbase-SQL
Quantum data
QueryObject
Quickbooks
R:BASE
R83
Raima Data Server
Rdb
RDBMS Linter SQL
RDM Embedded
RDMS
RDMS-1100
REALITY
Reality/X
Recital
Red Brick
Remedy databases
RFM II
RM/COBOL files
RMS
RTXHDB
Rumba data sources
SAP
SAS
SE
Sequential Files
Sequoia
Sequoia database cluster
Sequoia/Pro
SESAM/SQL
Sharebase
SOLID Server
SQL Server
SQL/400
SQL/DS
SQLBase
SQLDB
STX
Superbase
Supra
Supra Server
Sybase
Sybase Adaptive Server
Synergy databases
System 1032
System 2000
Tandem Enscribe
Tandem NonStop SQL
Teradata
Text files
ThinkSQL DBMS
Thoroughbred files
TimesTen Server
Titanium
TM1 databases
TOTAL
TurboIMAGE
U/FOS
UDS
UDS/SQL
UFAS
Ultimate
UltPlus
Unidata
UniSQL
Unisys A series and NX systems: DMS II and keyed files. Unisys 2200
and IX: DMS 1100 and DMS2200
Unisys DMS 1100 (a.k.a. Enterprise Network Database Server for
ClearPath OS 2200)
Unisys RDMS 1100 (a.k.a. Enterprise Relational Database Server for
ClearPath OS 2200)
Unisys TIP Transactions
UniVerse
Unix and Linux clients
Unixware
Velocis
Versant
Vision indexed file system
Visual FoxPro
VSAM
VSAM-MVS
VSAM-VSE
White Cross RDBMS
Xbase
XML and any ODBC-compliant database
XML data sources (virtual database interface)
YARD-SQL
Zim databases

I guess that 99.99% of legacy data is covered (especially since VSAM,
RMS etc. are included).
Yes, using ODBC is probably the OPs best option.

There are always alternatives. For instance, for Oracle, this thing
is pretty cool:
http://otl.sourceforge.net/
Apart from the bits which are different depending on the the database.
Yes, there ARE things which are different.

As an extension.

Or use a higher level abstraction.

The OP would be better off asking further questions on this subject in a
Windows group of which there are several.

If he is not going to use VB for the front end, then there is no need
to limit the client to Windows.

Richard Bos

user923005 said:
From:
http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.HTM

We have this partial list of supported ODBC database platforms:

That's a very impressive list, but it means nothing, because it does not
come with the version numbers from which those database platforms are
supported. For example, if Informix X is supported, but Informix X-1 is
not, it's no use to someone whose page layout system is based around
Informix X-1.

Richard

Flash Gordon

Richard Bos wrote, On 14/09/07 11:18:
That's a very impressive list, but it means nothing, because it does not
come with the version numbers from which those database platforms are
supported. For example, if Informix X is supported, but Informix X-1 is
not, it's no use to someone whose page layout system is based around
Informix X-1.

Also for some of them, e.g. DIsam when it has been used directly from C
not through Cobol copybooks, you can't simply use the driver. You have
to first analyse how the data is stored within the tables since as far
as the database is concerned is just has a binary blob. If the provider
of the application chooses not to provide you with the information you
are in for a massive job and repeating it for the next release of the
application.