    such purposes.
    Thanks in advance
    Indru

    indru, Jul 9, 2003

  2. indru

    Guest

    On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:22:16AM +0000, indru wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I am new to Python programming. I am from C,C++,Perl background. I am
    > quite convinced by the possibilities python as a very high level
    > language is offering. I am seriously thinking of using python in my
    > project which is to create a accounting software. First thing came to my
    > mind was C++ but the time required could be enormous and my people are
    > not ready to wait that long. The project is a medium sized one but
    > bigger than something like gnucash and KMyMoney2. Do any body have
    > experience with application development using python and their
    > experiences ?. Also please advice me whether Python can be used for
    > such purposes.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Indru

    Yes you can use python for application development. I have created an
    application that generated various reports, certificates, interacts with
    database and provides a GUI, all in python :). For GUI I used Tkinter
    but you can use any other library as per your choice. I haven't done any
    project like accounting package. But I am sure you can easily do that in
    python and in a very less time as compared to developing that in C++.
    Moreover you get os independent code free of cost with Python :).

    Regards
    Vivek Kumar

    , Jul 9, 2003

  3. indru

    Dave Reed Guest

    On Wednesday 09 July 2003 04:22, indru wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am new to Python programming. I am from C,C++,Perl background. I am
    > quite convinced by the possibilities python as a very high level
    > language is offering. I am seriously thinking of using python in my
    > project which is to create a accounting software. First thing came to

    my
    > mind was C++ but the time required could be enormous and my people are
    > not ready to wait that long. The project is a medium sized one but
    > bigger than something like gnucash and KMyMoney2. Do any body have
    > experience with application development using python and their
    > experiences ?. Also please advice me whether Python can be used for
    > such purposes.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Indru

    Of course!

    I wrote a 24,000 Python program that uses pygtk/gnome (interfaces were
    created with glade) and postgresql. It's a patient database/accounting
    package for my wife's optometric office. It does double entry
    accounting to handle all the monetary transactions and generate
    reports for their accountant. It also keeps track of their frame
    inventory, does insurance reimbursement calculations for the
    insurances they accept, and many, many, other things. About 1,000 of
    that 24,000 lines of code is strings that hold PostScript code for
    printing out receipts, etc.

    It took me about 300 hours including design time. I've got 22 years of
    programming experience (the last 3.5 years almost exclusively in
    Python) so YMMV on coding time. I use gnucash for my personal finances
    and IMO, the system I wrote is more complex than a basic accounting
    system such as gnucash (which I use for my personal finances),
    although using Postgresql to store all the data greatly reduces the
    amount of code you have to write to manipulate the data. So my guess
    is fairly full featured accounting system could be written in less
    than 24,000 lines of Python code if you use a database to store all
    the actual data.

    Also note that using the database for manipulating the data makes the
    speed very acceptable. I'm almost certain that manipulating the data
    in Python would be way too slow to make it usable (e.g., generating a
    balance sheet that looks through all the transactions and groups them
    by account in Python would be much slower than using sql commands to
    do that).

    Have fun!

    Dave

    Dave Reed, Jul 9, 2003
  4. indru

    Dave Reed Guest

    On Wednesday 09 July 2003 10:37, John Hunter wrote:

    > Dave> Also note that using the database for manipulating the data
    > Dave> makes the speed very acceptable. I'm almost certain that
    > Dave> manipulating the data in Python would be way too slow to
    > Dave> make it usable (e.g., generating a balance sheet that looks
    > Dave> through all the transactions and groups them by account in
    > Dave> Python would be much slower than using sql commands to do
    > Dave> that).
    >
    > I'm not arguing that the dbase isn't the way to go, but if you wanted
    > to do the manipulations in python, the Numeric package certainly
    > provides the speed you need to manipulate large quantities of data
    > rapidly. I sometimes use a C extension to put data from an SQL
    > database directly into Numeric arrays and then manipulate the data in
    > python.
    >
    > John Hunter

    Yes, Numeric is great for numeric data. The data I have is a mix of
    numeric and text data (for example, patient name, frame description,
    etc.). The other benefit of using the database is it provides
    automatic persistence (permanent storage) and atomic transaction
    processing. And of course sql statements allow you to easily get the
    data you want using joins, group by, and order by.

    Dave

    Dave Reed, Jul 9, 2003
  5. I suggest you to look at Kiwi, in http://www.async.com.br/kiwi... it's
    a framework for quick application development, based on PyGTK and
    Glade... the stable version currently only supports GTK 1.2, but I
    think it's worth a look...

    Pedro Werneck, Jul 10, 2003