Application for Nokia 3410 cell 'phone

Peter H.M. Brooks

This should be simple enough! I have a Nokia 3410. I have downloaded the
J2ME Wireless Toolkit. I would like to write some applications for the cell
'phone.

Now, I read that J2ME is a range of standards and applications, not a
platform. Fair enough.

Since this is in Java, I'd like to write my applications so that they run on
all cell 'phones - or all Nokia 'phones at least.

What I'd like to know is the following:

- What steps do I need to take to write and load a 'Hello World'application
into my 3410 and see it run?

If there is a document you can point me to, or a better newsgroup that would
be great!

Later on it would be nice to know how to advertise an cell 'phone
application so other people can download it and pay for it - but that can
wait until I have one fully written. For that I need to know the above!

Darryl L. Pierce

Peter H.M. Brooks said:
This should be simple enough! I have a Nokia 3410. I have downloaded the
J2ME Wireless Toolkit. I would like to write some applications for the cell
'phone.

Now, I read that J2ME is a range of standards and applications, not a
platform. Fair enough.

J2ME is an umbrella term that refers to a collection of technologies.
Since this is in Java, I'd like to write my applications so that they run on
all cell 'phones - or all Nokia 'phones at least.

What I'd like to know is the following:

- What steps do I need to take to write and load a 'Hello World'application
into my 3410 and see it run?

First, read a MIDP tutorial. Then, when you're confident, visit the J2ME
FAQ and check out the example Hello World! MIDlet listed there.
If there is a document you can point me to, or a better newsgroup that would
be great!

There are several sites and mailing lists for MIDP developers. Check out
KVM-INTEREST @ <http://archives.java.sun.com/kvm-interest.html> and also
the SDK List hosted by Motorola @ <http://www.idendev.com>.

And, there's the J2ME FAQ:
Later on it would be nice to know how to advertise an cell 'phone
application so other people can download it and pay for it - but that can
wait until I have one fully written. For that I need to know the above!

There are the carrier programs for distributing your applications.
There's also MIDlet Central <http://www.midletcentral.com> but they
appear to be temporarily down now.