application hangs - no start possible - what is wrong?

guido.baumhoff

Hello everybody,

I am very confused: an last saturday my client has installed a new
notebook system with the components, I have wish: Microsoft Windows XP,
IIS 5.1, SQL MSDE with SP4, .NET Framework 1.1, in this order.

Then he is going on, and installed my ASP.NET application in the folder
c:\inetpub\wwwroot. After this he called me and said, that he
configured my application for local database access and now is able to
see my application in his internet explorer, called the address:
http://localhost

Oh, I was very happy to hear this, but for absolutly 100% sleep he
restart the notebook and test the application again; and the
application runs again, very good!

After this procedure he is going on and create a Recovery-Point in
Windows XP. Next step he installed some other applications on his
notebook: Microsoft Office, Yahoo, Adobe Reader 7.0, MSN Messenger, ...

Yesterday, he called me (not amused), the ASP.NET application does not
run! After start the IE with the address http://localhost
the progressbar in the IE goes on slowly, but nothing appears, waiting
one minute, waiting two minutes. change the application with a
HelloWorld.aspx the same situation.

Showing in the folder
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files
the framework create many files for each assembly, so there is some
work, but why no response to the client?

In the system event log from Windows XP there are some entries like the
follow:
MSSQLSERVER - 17055 - 19012: SuperSocket Info: Bind failed on TCP port
1433

In the IIS protocol there are some entries like the follow:
127.0.0.1 PROPFIND /esmsde 404

ESMSDE is name-part of the local database server.

What I have do the last 24 hours:
* Reinstall .NET Framework
* Create a new virtuell directory in IIS
* uninstall virus scan
* stop/start ASPNET_WP.EXE
* test the database connection with other applications
* remove all automatic startup application, from registry too, so there
is a nearly clean system
unavailable", but I see no chance to get it working?, remove and add
the application in the Internet-Service-Manager from IIS do not repair
this error)

But nothing helps! The system do not start the application again.
Anybody have an idea? Thanks in advance for every question - answer -
comment!

Guido

if there is something badly described, please sorry, ask me, and I will
describe it again!

Patrick.O.Ige

Guido it seems like a SQL server error..
In the aspx page you are trying to display are you getting any data from
SQL?
If yes try any .aspx page with no connection to SQL and see.
Patrick

guido.baumhoff

Patrick, thanks for your tip, intime I have called my client and check
the system with deactivated service MSSQLSERVER, but there is no good
news for us. The same problem than yesterday. My application works with
try catch routines, so if there is no MSSQL Server, default values are
used.

The same problem, if I call a HelloWorld.aspx in the Web.

*sadly*

guido.baumhoff

new information:
The Windows XP Professional installation seems to be without any
operatingsystem - servicepack, so SP1 and SP2 and all hotfixes are not
installed, it is not configured to run updates automatically.

3rd Application like MSSQL Server and MS Office 2003 are installed with
service packs (SP4 or. SP2)

Patrick.O.Ige

Have you tried to see how the ASP.net worker process is working..
Try looking at the task manager and see how its is doing?
Also does any html page show up?
Patrick

Guido

ASP and HTML Pages are working good, a HelloWorld.asp or HelloWorld.html
response correct.

After calling the ASPX App with http://localhost
the .NET Engine Process runs over the Application and process all
included assemblies.

The Folder
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files
shows the result of this process. After this work, the ASPNET_WP.EXE
process is upto 30 MB and runs without any processor utilization.

Thanks

Guido

guido.baumhoff

First, thanks for your help!

Today, I have clean up my notebook and simulate the client installation
with my notebook. so first installed Windows XP with SP 2, then IIS,
SQL MSDE with SP4, NET Framework 1.1 and last my ASP.NET application.
after this, my application runs.

in the next steps, I installed MS Office 2003 with SP 2, then Adobe
Reader 7.0 with integrated Yahoo Toolbar extension. Between all steps,
I test my application running correctly.

Now, I installed a software product from Vodafone
http://www.vodafone.de/hilfe_kundenservice/download/63052.html

After installing the "Vodafone-Dashboard für Mobile Connect Card"
Version 6.01 I am unable to start the ASP.NET application. After
desinstalling the Vodafone Software I am able to start the ASP.NET
application.

so, I have caused the bad program. And now, I will go on and search
why. Thanks in advance for all help!

It looks like an disharmony between the .NET Framework and software
from Vodafone!

maxxx

[...]

Did you ever find an answer? we have the same issue - installing the
vodafone mobile connect software somehow disables any ASPX pages being
served from IIS - which is a bit of an isue for a web developer!

Cheers

guido.baumhoff

no answer, but a work around, hope it helps:

because version 6.x can not run in combination with IIS and NET, I
tried old version of the same software, beginning with version 1.3.18,
then 3.0.2, then 3.0.3, then 4.2.6

the last one, version 4.2.6, runs with our UMTS Mobile Connect Card and
(!!!) with IIS and NET. all other versions do not offer this support,
include version 5.1.2

the manufacturer of the software, the dutch manufacturer Diginext from
Amstelveen (http://www.diginext.nl/) still ignores the problem. I
filled out the contact form, but I have got no answer.