    Would it benefit me going to the web??

    Thanks for any replies
    Mike
    Mike D, May 2, 2005

  2. Mike D

    Mark Schupp Guest

    ASP cannot do anything with client-side components. But it can generate an
    HTML page that can have the browser check for the latest component version.
    See the CODEBASE attribute of the OBJECT tag.

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, May 2, 2005

  3. "Mike D" <> wrote in message
    >I have been working on a client side app to interface with a balance
    > connected to a pc. My app uses RS-232 and the MSComm component in vb or
    > vb.net to receive data and send commands to the balance. There will be
    > server side things to do with the data such as database insert, .pdf
    > creation
    > for archival etc.
    >
    > How to do this in an asp page. I would like to have this available over
    > our
    > intranet. Each client pc would have to have the cableing and the balance.
    > Would I use an activex control to connect to the server. Can a asp page
    > determine if a client side component has been downloaded and installed and
    > if
    > not provide the latest download?

    No - but IE/ActiveX does this by default using the codebase property.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/codebase.asp

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/