Application Locking

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Wayne Wengert, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. I have an account with an ISP (I do not control the server). I have a series
    of ASP web pages that form a "logical application" from my point of view but
    I wonder if the Application objects see it that way? I have a situation
    where one of the web pages may detect that a new text file has been uploaded
    and it needs to start processing the uploaded file. I use an Application
    object to indicate that processing of uploaded files is underway
    (Application("Processing") = 1). Any other session that opens that page
    checks that application object and skips the check for new files if the
    object = 1. When upload file processing is complete, the files are deleted
    and the application object is set to zero.

    I am seeing some weird loops very infrequently and after checking all the
    code and such I am beginning to suspect that I have two sessions working
    with files at once.

    My question: what is the scope of an application object? Some of the
    material I've read implies that the "Application" environment is at the
    server level? When using an ISP account can the application object be used
    in the way I describe?

    TIA

    Wayne

    Wayne Wengert, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Wayne  Wengert

    Ray at Guest

    Applications are defined at the IIS level. An application can be your whole
    site, or you can setup a subdirectory to be its own application that
    contains its own directories and what not. Unless you've requested
    otherwise from your ISP, your whole site is probably configured as one
    application.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Thanks Ray. That seems like a reasonable interpretation. I am going to check
    with my ISP to see how they handle that.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wengert, Jan 18, 2004