Application Locking

Wayne Wengert

I have an account with an ISP (I do not control the server). I have a series
of ASP web pages that form a "logical application" from my point of view but
I wonder if the Application objects see it that way? I have a situation
where one of the web pages may detect that a new text file has been uploaded
and it needs to start processing the uploaded file. I use an Application
object to indicate that processing of uploaded files is underway
(Application("Processing") = 1). Any other session that opens that page
checks that application object and skips the check for new files if the
object = 1. When upload file processing is complete, the files are deleted
and the application object is set to zero.

I am seeing some weird loops very infrequently and after checking all the
code and such I am beginning to suspect that I have two sessions working
with files at once.

My question: what is the scope of an application object? Some of the
material I've read implies that the "Application" environment is at the
server level? When using an ISP account can the application object be used
in the way I describe?

TIA

Wayne

Ray at

Applications are defined at the IIS level. An application can be your whole
site, or you can setup a subdirectory to be its own application that
contains its own directories and what not. Unless you've requested
otherwise from your ISP, your whole site is probably configured as one
application.

Ray at home

Wayne Wengert

Thanks Ray. That seems like a reasonable interpretation. I am going to check
with my ISP to see how they handle that.

Wayne