Application Pool crashing due to excesive memory use or ASP error - ASP problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by mettá, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. mettá

    mettá Guest

    I have a web site on a shared server (Win2003) and occasionally the site
    goes down with a message "Service Unavailable" The ISP says there must be a
    problem with the ASP content and excessive use of the Application Pool is
    causing the problem

    I can't find the cause but wonder if putting

    <%Session.Abandon%>

    and /or

    <%Session.Contents.RemoveAll()%>

    on the DB output pages will help to clear the excessive memory usage???

    Any ideas???

    Thanks

    mettá, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mettá"
    <> writing in

    > I have a web site on a shared server (Win2003) and occasionally the
    > site goes down with a message "Service Unavailable" The ISP says there
    > must be a problem with the ASP content and excessive use of the
    > Application Pool is causing the problem
    >
    > I can't find the cause but wonder if putting
    >
    ><%Session.Abandon%>
    >
    > and /or
    >
    ><%Session.Contents.RemoveAll()%>
    >
    > on the DB output pages will help to clear the excessive memory
    > usage???
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks

    Are you closing all record sets and closing the connection to the db?
    For example I use on every page:

    <!--#include file = "conn_inc.asp"--> <!-- this file opens a connection
    to the db -->
    </head>
    <% 'query db
    'put recordset into an array
    'close recordset and set it to nothing
    'loop through the array
    %>
    <!--#include file = "footer_inc.asp"--> <!-- this file contains
    conn.close and set conn = nothing -->

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 7, 2008

  3. "mettá" <> wrote in message
    >I have a web site on a shared server (Win2003) and occasionally the site
    >goes down with a message "Service Unavailable" The ISP says there must be a
    >problem with the ASP content and excessive use of the Application Pool is
    >causing the problem
    >
    > I can't find the cause but wonder if putting
    >
    > <%Session.Abandon%>
    >
    > and /or
    >
    > <%Session.Contents.RemoveAll()%>
    >
    > on the DB output pages will help to clear the excessive memory usage???
    >
    > Any ideas???

    Are you using the Session object at all?
    If so what for? How much data are you storing in the session object

    Are you using the Application object at all?
    If so what for? How much data are you storing in the application object?

    How many distinct clients are actively hitting your site?

    If you believe that you have too many session objects lying around unused
    then a quick fix would be to reduce the session timeout on the site a
    little.

    Do you use thirdparty COM DLLs in you app (e.g., things other than the
    typical ADODB and MSXML components)?

    Are you storing COM objects in the Application or Session object?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Nov 8, 2008