Application Restart on folder creation

Ray Booysen

In our application, we merge documents for our clients. The directory
structure is as follows:

webroot
->bin
->Documents
->Company
-> Company X
-> Company Y

If I create a new folder under Company:

webroot
->bin
->Documents
->Company
-> Company X
-> Company Y
-> New Company

The application immediately restarts. Nothing is in the Event log.
What am I missing?

Kind Regards
Ray Booysen

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Ray,

It sounds like your merges are touching the file system in a way (or
location) that affects the application's root. Is it possible to do your
merging in a separate application area?

Here's more on restarts:

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"Application Restarts

Modifying the source code of your Web application will cause ASP.NET to
recompile source files into assemblies. When you modify the top-level items
in your application, all other assemblies in the application that reference
the top-level assemblies are recompiled as well.

In addition, modifying, adding, or deleting certain types of files within
the application's known folders will cause the application to restart. The
following actions will cause an application restart:

Adding, modifying, or deleting assemblies from the application's Bin folder.

Adding, modifying, or deleting localization resources from the
App_GlobalResources or App_LocalResources folders.

Adding, modifying, or deleting the application's Global.asax file.

Adding, modifying, or deleting source code files in the App_Code directory.

Adding, modifying, or deleting Profile configuration.

Adding, modifying, or deleting Web service references in the
App_WebReferences directory.

Adding, modifying, or deleting the application's Web.config file.

When an application restart is required, ASP.NET will serve all pending
requests from the existing application domain and the old assemblies before
restarting the application domain and loading the new assemblies."

Marina Levit [MVP]

Are you sure 'Company' is not a web application in IIS?

I would recommend keeping all your files outside the virtual directory
anyway. It would eliminate this problem, and eliminate the possibility that
someone simply browses to the right folder,e tc.

Ray Booysen

Hi Ken. I'll have a look at this.

I can't unfortunately without a big rewrite of the file handling. I
wrote a user control that allows clients to view their own files. And
the control exposes the URLs of the files to allow downloading. This
would obviously need a change.

Its strange as I use the .NET Framework to create the folders. Anyway,
I'll test more and let the newsgroup know of any findings I have.

Cheers
Ray