application root versus virtual directory?

Sheila Jones

Hello,

Could somebody explain (or point me to a website that does) the difference
between a 'virtual directory' and an 'application root'? I don't really get
it at the moment. Thanks.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Sheila Jones said:
Could somebody explain (or point me to a website that does) the difference
between a 'virtual directory' and an 'application root'? I don't really get
it at the moment. Thanks.

Virtual directories are mappings of URLs to physical directories for the web
server.

Application roots are independent of this and are the "root" location for a
specified application.

Sheila Jones

Application roots are independent of this and are the "root" location for
specified application.

What exactly is the "application" here? My website is just a bunch of .aspx
files...

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Sheila Jones said:
What exactly is the "application" here? My website is just a bunch of .aspx
files...

Collectively they make an "application" and share settings, as well as a
session object.