    I understand how a Web serve could become a AS if your aplication is a web
    application. But , if its not ?

    Thank you for any enlightment.
    SMMT, May 13, 2004

  2. SMMT wrote:

    > My java knowledge comes to be j2se and a litle j2me. Now I'm beginning to
    > grasp j2ee.
    > As I understand the fundamental thing in j2ee is the Aplication Server (AS)
    > . But what is an AS ?

    A server that runs applications.

    > I often see the reference "aaa is and Aplication server for web aplications"
    > there is a AS for non-web applications ?

    "application server" is a rather vague term and can mean a lot of things. In the J2EE
    context "web application" is a much narrower term.

    > What's the difference between an AS and a Web Server. I know Tomcat, is it a
    > AS or simply and Web Server ?

    Tomcat is a web (i.e. HTTP) server that implements the Servlet and JSP specs
    and therefore can run web applications making use of those technologies.
    It does not support suppor EJBs, the other "big" J2EE technology.

    > I understand how a Web serve could become a AS if your aplication is a web
    > application. But , if its not ?

    It could be just about anything else. But in the J2EE context, "application server"
    usually means a server that confirms to the complete J2EE platform specification:
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html#platformspec

    You could theoretically have a server that supports EJBs but not servlets or JSPs. It
    would not be able to produce any web pages, but could act as a server for fat client
    applications, or for a B2B application.

    In practice, all EJB servers support the complete J2EE spec.
    Michael Borgwardt, May 13, 2004