Application sharing

Ike

Anyone know of a Java API in existence that I could utilize for application
sharing? Thanks, Ike

Ike

Something that provides functionality akin to "appilication sharing" in msn
messenger (which Ithink has been ported over from the old Netmeeting) or
what WebEx does -- something that lets someone who is in charge of a
metting, run an application on a client, and have it be vieewd remotely by
other clients.

Thanks, Ike

Chris Smith

Ike said:
Something that provides functionality akin to "appilication sharing" in msn
messenger (which Ithink has been ported over from the old Netmeeting) or
what WebEx does -- something that lets someone who is in charge of a
metting, run an application on a client, and have it be vieewd remotely by
other clients.

No pure Java library will be able to provide the kind of application
sharing available in those tools. You would need something more closely
connected to the underlying system, so such a thing just can't possibly
exist. If you need a portable library, you are out of luck.

I'm unaware of any platform-specific native libraries, but you might get
a better response if you post what platforms you need.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jim Cochrane

No pure Java library will be able to provide the kind of application
sharing available in those tools. You would need something more closely
connected to the underlying system, so such a thing just can't possibly
exist. If you need a portable library, you are out of luck.

I'm unaware of any platform-specific native libraries, but you might get
a better response if you post what platforms you need.

It sounds, perhaps, like something that could be done via web services -
or would this be too demanding for web services?

Ike

Argh, I hate to say it, but what I need is for Windows......I just cannot
bear the thought os something so very MS-specific! -Ike

Chris Smith

Jim said:
It sounds, perhaps, like something that could be done via web services -
or would this be too demanding for web services?

Web services are irrelevant. Once you've captured the information to
send to the other side, there are plenty of ways to transmit it. That's
the trivial part of the problem. Web services would carry much more
overhead than most other possible protocols.

The trick, though, is to gather such information about other
applications in the first place. Some of it could be gathered via
java.awt.Robot if that class is implemented on the target platform; but
more would be needed.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jim Cochrane

Web services are irrelevant. Once you've captured the information to
send to the other side, there are plenty of ways to transmit it. That's
the trivial part of the problem. Web services would carry much more
overhead than most other possible protocols.

The trick, though, is to gather such information about other
applications in the first place. Some of it could be gathered via
java.awt.Robot if that class is implemented on the target platform; but
more would be needed.

Thanks for the clarification.