    Ike Guest

    Anyone know of a Java API in existence that I could utilize for application
    sharing? Thanks, Ike

    Ike, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Ike

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Ike wrote:

    > Anyone know of a Java API in existence that I could utilize for
    > application sharing?

    Could you be more specific?

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Something that provides functionality akin to "appilication sharing" in msn
    messenger (which Ithink has been ported over from the old Netmeeting) or
    what WebEx does -- something that lets someone who is in charge of a
    metting, run an application on a client, and have it be vieewd remotely by
    other clients.

    Thanks, Ike

    Ike, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Ike

    Chris Smith Guest

    Ike wrote:
    > Something that provides functionality akin to "appilication sharing" in msn
    > messenger (which Ithink has been ported over from the old Netmeeting) or
    > what WebEx does -- something that lets someone who is in charge of a
    > metting, run an application on a client, and have it be vieewd remotely by
    > other clients.

    No pure Java library will be able to provide the kind of application
    sharing available in those tools. You would need something more closely
    connected to the underlying system, so such a thing just can't possibly
    exist. If you need a portable library, you are out of luck.

    I'm unaware of any platform-specific native libraries, but you might get
    a better response if you post what platforms you need.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Ike

    Jim Cochrane Guest

    In article <>, Chris Smith wrote:
    > Ike wrote:
    >> Something that provides functionality akin to "appilication sharing" in msn
    >> messenger (which Ithink has been ported over from the old Netmeeting) or
    >> what WebEx does -- something that lets someone who is in charge of a
    >> metting, run an application on a client, and have it be vieewd remotely by
    >> other clients.

    > No pure Java library will be able to provide the kind of application
    > sharing available in those tools. You would need something more closely
    > connected to the underlying system, so such a thing just can't possibly
    > exist. If you need a portable library, you are out of luck.
    >
    > I'm unaware of any platform-specific native libraries, but you might get
    > a better response if you post what platforms you need.

    It sounds, perhaps, like something that could be done via web services -
    or would this be too demanding for web services?

    --
    Jim Cochrane;
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to

    Jim Cochrane, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Argh, I hate to say it, but what I need is for Windows......I just cannot
    bear the thought os something so very MS-specific! -Ike

    Ike, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Ike

    Chris Smith Guest

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > It sounds, perhaps, like something that could be done via web services -
    > or would this be too demanding for web services?

    Web services are irrelevant. Once you've captured the information to
    send to the other side, there are plenty of ways to transmit it. That's
    the trivial part of the problem. Web services would carry much more
    overhead than most other possible protocols.

    The trick, though, is to gather such information about other
    applications in the first place. Some of it could be gathered via
    java.awt.Robot if that class is implemented on the target platform; but
    more would be needed.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Sep 24, 2004
  8. Ike

    Jonck Guest

    In <iPI4d.754$%> Ike wrote:
    > Anyone know of a Java API in existence that I could utilize for
    > application sharing? Thanks, Ike

    Perhaps you mean something like this?
    http://www.realvnc.com/javavncviewer.html

    Jonck, Sep 24, 2004
  9. Ike

    Ike Guest

    exactly!

    Ike, Sep 24, 2004
  10. Ike

    Jim Cochrane Guest

    In article <>, Chris Smith wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >> It sounds, perhaps, like something that could be done via web services -
    >> or would this be too demanding for web services?

    > Web services are irrelevant. Once you've captured the information to
    > send to the other side, there are plenty of ways to transmit it. That's
    > the trivial part of the problem. Web services would carry much more
    > overhead than most other possible protocols.
    >
    > The trick, though, is to gather such information about other
    > applications in the first place. Some of it could be gathered via
    > java.awt.Robot if that class is implemented on the target platform; but
    > more would be needed.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Jim Cochrane, Sep 26, 2004