  1. I am interested in learning the techniques involved in writing an
    application that can make use of different skins a la windows media player.
    Any help in this persuit would be appreciated.
    PERCIVAL BRAGG, Jul 8, 2003

  2. "PERCIVAL BRAGG" <> wrote in message
    news:10pOa.34666$...
    > I am interested in learning the techniques involved in writing an
    > application that can make use of different skins a la windows media

    player.
    > Any help in this persuit would be appreciated.

    You probably wanna try comp.lang.java.gui for stuff like this. But check out
    L&F for java. (http://www.google.com/search?q=java look and feel)

    As for making something where you specify the shape of the window, I'm not
    sure if you can do that.
    Miguel De Anda, Jul 8, 2003

  3. "Harald Hein" <> wrote in message
    > "Miguel De Anda" wrote:
    >
    > > As for making something where you specify the shape of the window,
    > > I'm not sure if you can do that.

    > No, you can't. There is a hack, but that one is just nonsens:
    >
    > Use the Robot class to get a snapshot of the area behind the window.
    > Use that snapshot as the window's background. At first glance this
    > looks like a transparent window, on which you can paint non-regular
    > shapes. But, as soon as you move the window, or if the screen behind
    > the window is not static, it just looks ugly.
    >
    > HH

    Most programs that I've seen with irregular shaped windows are annoying and
    hard to use anyways. I won't miss it.
    Miguel De Anda, Jul 8, 2003
  4. "Miguel De Anda" <>, Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:50:47 +0000:

    > "Harald Hein" <> wrote in message
    >> "Miguel De Anda" wrote:
    >>
    >> > As for making something where you specify the shape of the window,
    >> > I'm not sure if you can do that.

    >> No, you can't. There is a hack, but that one is just nonsense:
    >>
    >> Use the Robot class to get a snapshot of the area behind the window.
    >> Use that snapshot as the window's background. At first glance this
    >> looks like a transparent window, on which you can paint non-regular
    >> shapes. But, as soon as you move the window, or if the screen behind
    >> the window is not static, it just looks ugly.
    >>
    >> HH

    > Most programs that I've seen with irregular shaped windows are annoying and
    > hard to use anyways. I won't miss it.

    I won't miss it either (unless somebody finally gets to make a usable 3D
    window manager, don't see that happen very soon. Just imagine the
    productivity increase by being able to walk around in an Urban Terror(Tm)
    L&F environment looking for your favorite IDE when you get a hit by an
    incoming usenet posting and a barrage of pop-ups; it would give me sea
    sickness).

    But the people from www.l2fprod.com were offering skinned regions too. I
    have never tried it out though.

    Greets Bhun.
    dhek bhun kho, Jul 9, 2003
  5. "PERCIVAL BRAGG" <> wrote in message
    > I am interested in learning the techniques involved in writing an
    > application that can make use of different skins a la windows media player.
    > Any help in this persuit would be appreciated.

    You can do lots but you will need the JNI.

    Check the WinPack for JNIWrapper (http://www.jniwrapper.com/winpack.jsp).
    It allows creating windows of any shape plus other window decorations.

    Here is the example: http://www.jniwrapper.com/images/winpack/cust_shape.gif

    Good luck!
    EToporov
    Eugene Toporov, Jul 9, 2003