Application skinning

PERCIVAL BRAGG

I am interested in learning the techniques involved in writing an
application that can make use of different skins a la windows media player.
Any help in this persuit would be appreciated.

Miguel De Anda

PERCIVAL BRAGG said:
I am interested in learning the techniques involved in writing an
application that can make use of different skins a la windows media player.
Any help in this persuit would be appreciated.

You probably wanna try comp.lang.java.gui for stuff like this. But check out
L&F for java. (http://www.google.com/search?q=java+look+and+feel)

As for making something where you specify the shape of the window, I'm not
sure if you can do that.

Miguel De Anda

Harald Hein said:
No, you can't. There is a hack, but that one is just nonsens:

Use the Robot class to get a snapshot of the area behind the window.
Use that snapshot as the window's background. At first glance this
looks like a transparent window, on which you can paint non-regular
shapes. But, as soon as you move the window, or if the screen behind
the window is not static, it just looks ugly.

HH

Most programs that I've seen with irregular shaped windows are annoying and
hard to use anyways. I won't miss it.

dhek bhun kho

Most programs that I've seen with irregular shaped windows are annoying and
hard to use anyways. I won't miss it.

I won't miss it either (unless somebody finally gets to make a usable 3D
window manager, don't see that happen very soon. Just imagine the
productivity increase by being able to walk around in an Urban Terror(Tm)
L&F environment looking for your favorite IDE when you get a hit by an
incoming usenet posting and a barrage of pop-ups; it would give me sea
sickness).

But the people from www.l2fprod.com were offering skinned regions too. I
have never tried it out though.

Greets Bhun.

Eugene Toporov

PERCIVAL BRAGG said:
I am interested in learning the techniques involved in writing an
application that can make use of different skins a la windows media player.
Any help in this persuit would be appreciated.

You can do lots but you will need the JNI.

Check the WinPack for JNIWrapper (http://www.jniwrapper.com/winpack.jsp).
It allows creating windows of any shape plus other window decorations.

Here is the example: http://www.jniwrapper.com/images/winpack/cust_shape.gif

Good luck!
EToporov