Application Stopped working....after upgrade

stephen

Hi,

I had created a FileSystemwatcher app (using W2k) to monitor a Directory and
write to a log file. My company upgraded my box to Wxp Pro and it stopped
writing to the log file.
I tried to debug it manually and when I drop a file into the directory the
FileSystemWatcher (create, changed, deleted, renamed) events do not fire at
all.

I know its weird and.... seriously tried it a number of times before posting
this message....
anyone encountered such a problem?

Thanks,
Stephen

Guest

It seems like this is a problem others are having too.
See http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=18368

Here are a few things I could think about:
1. Windows XP security is higher and might consider some file triggered
event as a potential risk. So there could be some security software (such as
an anti-virus) blocking the trigger. Check up on that.
2. Try using the file watcher from www.sysinternals.com and see what
happens. You will get a lot more information for sure.
3. From MSDN:
------
The system notifies the component of file changes in a buffer the component
creates and passes to the Application Programming Interfaces. If there are
many changes in a short time, the buffer can overflow. This causes the
component to lose track of changes in the directory, and it will only provide
blanket notification. Increasing the size of the buffer is expensive, as it
comes from non-paged memory that cannot be swapped out to disk, so keep the
buffer as small as possible. To avoid a buffer overflow, use the
NotifyFilter, and IncludeSubdirectories properties so you can filter out
unwanted change notifications. For more information on buffer size, see
InternalBufferSize.
----

Now it might so happen that when a new file is created, an anti-virus or
indexing software (such as Google Desktop) or other software such as Picasa,
immediately triggers some file-based events. This might fill up the buffer
and hence you might be losing the event.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Pandurang

Guest

Another thought. Have you recompiled the application on the new upgraded
system? Might be worth a try, thought it shouldn't really matter.

Also - I am not quite sure what user account the is process running in. If
it is not an administrative account, you might have to ensure that the user
account has full rights to the folder you are watching. Dumb thing, but these
kind of things happen sometime. It is also possible that the file system
event is triggered by a system account such as NETWORKSERVICE - this could be
different in Win2K.

Regards
Pandu