Application with DB Server not having direct access

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chuck, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Here is my setup.

    Netgear Router with a webserver and database server NAT'd behind the
    firewall.

    Microsoft Windows 2000, IIS 5 - Web Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000, MySQL - Database Server

    What I would like to have is a web application served up off my WS
    (web server) and that application access my DS (db server) without
    giving direct access to the user, so in this case, the DS is not
    accessible by the users on the internet, to keep it secure.

    I would like to build this with ASP is there a way to do this with
    MySQL and ASP?

    Thanks
    Chuck
    Chuck, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Chuck

    Ray at Guest

    If your webserver and database server are on the same side of the firewall,
    there's no issue. Just don't forward anything from the firewall to your db
    server. There isn't any reason to, since the webserver is on the same side
    as the db server.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Sorry I should have noted that, I will be moving the WS outside of the
    firewall, and have access through it. I basically want the code to
    grab information on the backend and display it to the user.

    Chuck, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Chuck

    Ray at Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry I should have noted that, I will be moving the WS outside of the
    > firewall, and have access through it.

    Do you have to move it outside? Can you not just open up port 80/443 on the
    firewall and forward that traffic to the IIS server?

    > I basically want the code to
    > grab information on the backend and display it to the user.

    I'm not sure what kind of options may exist in your Netgear router. I know
    on my home router, a DLink, I can choose to open a port and forward traffic
    to an internal IP, but that's the extent of the options. I can't do
    anything like IPSec to only allow requests from specific IPs or subnets. I
    believe that if your MySQL server is behind a firewall, all requests will
    come from the Internet IP of the firewall, not the IP of the webserver.
    But, if that were NOT the case, you could use IPSec to only allow traffic
    from your IIS server's IP. One way you could test this is to install IIS on
    your MySQL Server, make a page with "response.write
    request.servervariables("remote_addr")" and load that page from your IIS
    server. If you see the IIS server's IP as opposed to the firewall, you can
    use IPSec (post back for info). If not, your web server will be the same as
    any other machine on the Internet, and you will not be able to control
    access. I'm 99% sure that the IP that you'll see will be that of the
    firewall. So, if that's the case, I suggest rethinking the reasoning for
    putting the IIS server outside of the firewall.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 29, 2003