Application_Error event in global.asax.cs

Mark

There appear to be several ways to get the global error handler in
global.asax.cs to fire repeatedly in a nasty endless loop. Is there a way
to keep this event from firing only a handful of times over the course of a
minute, so that if it's obviously caught in a vicious loop, it will stop?

In our global error handler, we send an email warning developer's of the
problem. However, if the global error handler fires repeatedly, we get
numerous emails - like 4000+, or as many as can be sent while a browser is
hitting our site.

For example, we are storing our session information in SQL Server, rather
than in IIS. This is configured in web.config. <sessionState
mode="SQLServer"... > One morning the web server couldn't connect to the SQL
Server ASPState database, so a hit on our web site generated 4000+ emails in
several minutes as the client browser window sat open.

Suggestions aside from "don't send an email in your global error handler?"

Thanks in advance.

Mark