Application_Error event in global.asax.cs

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    There appear to be several ways to get the global error handler in
    global.asax.cs to fire repeatedly in a nasty endless loop. Is there a way
    to keep this event from firing only a handful of times over the course of a
    minute, so that if it's obviously caught in a vicious loop, it will stop?

    In our global error handler, we send an email warning developer's of the
    problem. However, if the global error handler fires repeatedly, we get
    numerous emails - like 4000+, or as many as can be sent while a browser is
    hitting our site.

    For example, we are storing our session information in SQL Server, rather
    than in IIS. This is configured in web.config. <sessionState
    mode="SQLServer"... > One morning the web server couldn't connect to the SQL
    Server ASPState database, so a hit on our web site generated 4000+ emails in
    several minutes as the client browser window sat open.

    Suggestions aside from "don't send an email in your global error handler?"

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark
    Mark, Jun 22, 2004