Application_Error function is not invoked when an System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out occurs

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jack Wright, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    Dear All,
    I have a web Application "http://localhost/Web/WebForm1.aspx" that
    calls a WebService from
    "http://localhost/webserviceapp/service1.asmx"...I have set the
    executionTimeout to 10 secs in Web.Config where my WebService is
    installed.
    <httpRuntime executionTimeout="10" appRequestQueueLimit="2" />

    When I call a method "TestPlan" which takes more than 10 secs my web
    Page gets the following error:
    Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html;
    charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'. The request failed with the
    error message: --
    Server Error in '/WebServiceApp' Application.
    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.
    I tried to trap the error on Application_Error function of Global.asax
    of both my Web page and the WebService...
    Sub Application_Error(ByVal sender As Object, _
    ByVal e As EventArgs)
    ' Get the actual error that brought us here
    Dim ex As Exception = _
    Server.GetLastError.InnerException
    ' Display basic error information
    Response.Write("An error occurred in the application:<br>")
    Response.Write(ex.Message & "<br>")
    Response.Write("Stack trace:<br>")
    Dim s As StringBuilder = New StringBuilder(ex.StackTrace)
    Response.Write(s.Replace(" at ", " at<br> "))
    Response.End()
    ' Clear the error
    Server.ClearError()
    End Sub
    But it did not work...I tried to trap the event on the Page's onError
    method too it did not work...could someone please help...

    TALIA

    Many Regards
    Jack

    Jack Wright, Mar 2, 2004

    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
    Got tidbits? Get it here...
    http://tinyurl.com/3he3b

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Mar 4, 2004

  3. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    Not yet...wot do I do?

    Please help...

    TALIA

    Many Regards
    Jack

    Jack Wright, Mar 5, 2004
  4. I don't believe a time out is an exception which is why you aren't able to
    catch it.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Mar 5, 2004
  5. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    Can I trap this?
    Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html;
    charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'
    If I can then I show a neat message to the user...

    Thanks & Regards

    Jack Wright, Mar 6, 2004
  6. You cannot trap errors by string description. You may have your webserver
    sniff out the http error code and take appropriate action as a work around.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Mar 7, 2004