Application_Start not firing in global.asax

Max

I've noticed some procedures don't run in the global.asax when you'd expect
them to. I've rebuilt and set break points, but Application_Start just isn't
firing today. Is there some configuration that prevents this from happening?

I've never gotten Session_End to fire either.

-M

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Well I don't know when "you'd expect" the Application_Start event to fire,
but I know I don't expect it to happen very often. Under normal release
conditions it should normally pretty much only fire after you reboot the
server and someone requests the first page.
The session will time out after 20 minutes of no page requests from the
user.
This default time interval is configurable in your web.config file.
After the session times out the Session_End event will be called in your
Global.asax file.
You can terminate the session manually by calling Session.Abandon, but be
aware this will cause the Session_End event to not be called. But that's
not so bad. Just take your code from the Session_End event, put it in a
separate function, then call that function from both your Session_End event
and whenever you call Session.Abandon. The Session_End event also won't
fire when you hit the stop button in the VS.NET IDE. It also won't fire at
all if you're not using standard in proc sessions.

Here's more details for you:
http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=7504

Max

I understand all that very well as I've been working on this problem for 3
months now. I've never been able to get Session_End to fire neither on the
remote server or my local machine. But just recently I've noticed nothing in
the global.asax is firing on my local machine and cookieless mode does not
work either. I suspect the cookie problem has to do with my application not
being in the root of my IIS, as it works fine on the remote.

Any direction you could point me too would be helpful.

-M

Alvin Bruney

Congratulations on those shiney new letters in your name. It is well
deserved. Keep up the good work.

Max

Ok, I found my solution. All subs now work on my global.asax FINALLY !!!!

I simply renamed the global.asax file and added a new one to the project. It
now runs fine.

Now since I don't believe in VS.NET's MYSTERY CODE, I decided to compare the
old global files with the new global files to see what the problem was, but
found them to be completely identical! Have any explanation for that Mr. MVP
?? LOL!

Seriously, I would like to know how the global.asax screws up like this...
it seems like a very common problem. Deleting and adding a new gloabal.asax
is not in any of the articles I've read. It must just not compile for some
reason. resx was all in there...

-M

Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had the same poblem and I was wrestling with it for several days.
The initial problem was something else - cookies not being set in Application's EndRequest handler.
Finally I somehow managed to realize, that the problem actually was that the event is not being fired at all.
It took some time to find that out, because all was working fine on my machine.
But on the production server - quiet as a tomb.

I am only writing this, because I really hope to save from troubles at least one person.

The real reason for the problem was a missing global.asax file on the production server.

The global.asax file was present on my computer, because the development environment is located there.
I had prepared a deployment bat file, which coppies files from the development folder, removes the unnecessary ones and makes a package.
Well - the global.asax file was marked for deletion in that script.
After starting to deploy it all the problems went away.

I hope I helped.