    Should I be using SVG for layout images? Are they larger than JPGs
    or the other obvious alternatives in file size? This is assuming,
    of course, that I'm ignoring IE's bullshit :)

    uranther, Dec 9, 2005

  2. uranther wrote:

    > SVG is nice and all, and browsers are already supporting it.
    > What does that mean to me, though? What am I supposed to use SVG
    > for?

    Vector graphics. The sort of thing Flash is good for (but with an open
    standard, and non-proprietary implementations on multiple platforms).

    > Should I be using SVG for layout images? Are they larger than JPGs
    > or the other obvious alternatives in file size?

    Is a JPEG larger then a GIF? Depends on what the image is of. Same applies
    to $foo Vs. SVG.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 9, 2005

  3. uranther

    Jim Higson Guest

    uranther wrote:

    > SVG is nice and all, and browsers are already supporting it.
    > What does that mean to me, though?

    > What am I supposed to use SVG for?

    Firefox 1.5 doesn't seem ready for it, but images that take up 80% of the
    screen width regardless of if the user is on a mobile or 20 inch screen is
    the biggest selling point for me.

    I say not ready because there doesn't seem to be any simple way to scale an
    SVG image using CSS yet. Setting the size of the Object is easy, but the
    image inside it just stays the same. When/if the img tag supports SVG this
    should be trivial.

    > The only way I could use it for content relevance is if I drew
    > diagrams of what I was talking about, but I don't see to be very
    > common.

    Logos are also good in SVG, since most are mostly simple shapes.

    > Should I be using SVG for layout images? Are they larger than JPGs
    > or the other obvious alternatives in file size?

    Depends. For SVG, the filesize will depend on complexity of the image, but
    be the same regardless of how large the image is on screen, whereas with
    jpg/png/gif the filesize is related to how many pixels the image has.

    Note that SVGs can be transparently served gzipped, which usually reduces
    their size by about 70%. I find a gzipped SVG is about about half the size
    of a realistic PNG export in most real world cases.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Jim Higson wrote:
    > I say not ready because there doesn't seem to be any simple way to scale an
    > SVG image using CSS yet. Setting the size of the Object is easy, but the
    > image inside it just stays the same. When/if the img tag supports SVG this
    > should be trivial.

    If you use namespaces to embed the SVG document in an XHTML document
    directly, you should be able to scale it with CSS. Or you could use
    <object> and apply the stylesheet to the SVG document instead of to the
    HTML document it's embedded in.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 12, 2005
  5. uranther

    Jim Higson Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    >> I say not ready because there doesn't seem to be any simple way to scale
    >> an SVG image using CSS yet. Setting the size of the Object is easy, but
    >> the image inside it just stays the same. When/if the img tag supports SVG
    >> this should be trivial.

    > If you use namespaces to embed the SVG document in an XHTML document
    > directly, you should be able to scale it with CSS. Or you could use
    > <object> and apply the stylesheet to the SVG document instead of to the
    > HTML document it's embedded in.

    This sounds cool. I've tried a few things like this and found none to
    work... could you give an example?

    Jim Higson, Dec 13, 2005