Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element InsideDocument

Discussion in 'HTML' started by vunet, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. vunet

    vunet Guest

    vunet, Jan 15, 2008

  2. vunet wrote:
    > IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
    > scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
    >
    > http://www.activewidgets.com/javascript.forum.18969.1/ie-6-crashes-with-aw.html
    >
    > How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
    > only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

    You don't. No other browser will even let you style them in the first place.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2008

  3. Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element Inside Document

    vunet wrote:

    > How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
    > only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

    Don't mess with my browser. You can have access to the content in the
    viewport, but the browser is mine.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 15, 2008
  4. vunet

    vunet Guest

    On Jan 15, 11:51 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <>
    wrote:
    > vunet wrote:
    > > IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
    > > scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:

    > >http://www.activewidgets.com/javascript.forum.18969.1/ie-6-crashes-wi...

    > > How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
    > > only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

    > You don't. No other browser will even let you style them in the first place.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    What I meant is applying scrollbar style to html, body but not any
    other element such as div in IE (IE ONLY, of course)

    html,body {
    scrollbar-base-color: #9999cc;
    }
    div {
    scrollbar-base-color: ;
    }

    But this did not work... You got my idea, didn't you?
    Thanks.
    vunet, Jan 15, 2008
  5. vunet wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 11:51 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <>
    > wrote:
    >> vunet wrote:
    >>> IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
    >>> scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
    >>> http://www.activewidgets.com/javascript.forum.18969.1/ie-6-crashes-wi...
    >>> How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
    >>> only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

    >> You don't. No other browser will even let you style them in the first place.

    <snip my signature>

    > What I meant is applying scrollbar style to html, body but not any
    > other element such as div in IE (IE ONLY, of course)
    >
    > html,body {
    > scrollbar-base-color: #9999cc;
    > }
    > div {
    > scrollbar-base-color: ;
    > }
    >
    > But this did not work... You got my idea, didn't you?

    Got it, really. Scrollbars are considered part of the browser chrome,
    stick to web standard and do yourself a favor. If you are looking for
    constancy in MS you are in a world of hurt, only takes a quick scan of
    the NG to see the evidence. Avoid proprietary properties

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html

    and save yourself some grief.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2008
  6. vunet

    richard Guest

    Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element Inside Document

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:43:34 -0800 (PST), vunet <>
    wrote:

    >IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
    >scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
    >
    >http://www.activewidgets.com/javascript.forum.18969.1/ie-6-crashes-with-aw.html
    >
    >How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
    >only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

    IE is a bug. Use Firefox.
    richard, Jan 15, 2008
  7. vunet

    Neredbojias Guest

    Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element Inside Document

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:43:34
    GMT vunet scribed:

    > IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
    > scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
    >
    > http://www.activewidgets.com/javascript.forum.18969.1/ie-6-crashes-with
    > -aw.html
    >
    > How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
    > only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

    As Jonathan implied, it's a non-standard proprietary thing so other
    elements will probably "inherit" the attribute no matter what you do.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Jan 15, 2008