Applying stylesheet styles to master page

sasquatch

Hi,

I've a a site with nested master pages and content pages. I tried using
a theme with a stylesheet in the app_themes directory referencing it in
the web.config file from a pages tag theme attribute. This works for
the content pages, but it doesn't seem able to apply the styles to the
top master page even though I did set the master head tag to runat
server. Is this by design? If so, what is the best way to apply styles
to the top master page content? What did work for me was to add a style
sheet link in the master page header but this doesn't seem to be a very
elegant solution to me; my goal is to have site wide styles applied to
all masters and content pages from a single stylesheet. Is applying
styles to the header programatically from the content pages code behind
a better answer? If so, an example would be much appreciated!

Thanks for any help on this!